A man suspected of stabbing two people at a church in Frederick County, Md., has been taken into custody. One of the victims has died, and the other is in serious but stable condition. (WUSA9)

A man was stabbed to death and his wife was seriously wounded Sunday night in an attack at a church and religious retreat center in Frederick County, Md., near Sugarloaf Mountain, authorities said.

A suspect with ties to Northern Virginia was taken into custody, County Sheriff Chuck Jenkins said. The man was being questioned, but had not been charged as of late Sunday, officials said.

Authorities said no danger existed to the community at large after the attack. It happened about 7:45 p.m. during a prayer or worship service at the Anna Prayer Counseling and Retreat Center, at 7910 Peters Rd. in the Urbana area of the county, several miles south of Frederick.

Officials said they were unaware of a motive in the attack.

“I wish I knew,” Jenkins said. “We don’t know at this point.”

A Frederick County sheriff’s deputy’s car blocks the entrance to a prayer center late Sunday night where one person was stabbed to death. Detectives were still examining the crime scene. (Dan Morse/Washington Post)

However, he said, the man taken into custody was not unknown to the sheriff’s office.

Jenkins said deputies had been called to the church facility Saturday.

He said he was told that the man was complaining about food at the center, which has a residential component, and where meals are available.

Most of the people affiliated with the center are of Korean descent, the sheriff said. But it was not clear whether the suspect was as well. He was not named but had lived in Northern Virginia and had been staying at the retreat center for about five days, Jenkins said.

As of about 11 p.m. Sunday, no weapon had been found. Jenkins said deputies were looking for a knife.

Jenkins said the first call to 911 about the incident was made about 7:45 p.m. It came at the end of a service, he said.

It was not clear what organization was conducting the service or who was leading it. Online information indicated that a variety of groups have used the center for retreats.

When deputies arrived, Jenkins said, they found a “very bloody scene.” It was “very gruesome,” he said.

The man who was stabbed was pronounced dead at the scene, Jenkins said. His wife was flown by helicopter to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore.

She was in serious but stable condition. Authorities said she was about to undergo surgery late Sunday.

The two victims had stab and slash wounds, Jenkins said.

After the first 911 call was received, Jenkins said, a second call was made, this one from the suspect.

In the call, the man said that he was on the road, on foot, “waiting to be arrested,” Jenkins said.

The man did not say why he expected to be arrested.

Authorities said arriving deputies found the man on a road and took him into custody without incident.

Among the difficulties encountered by investigators, Jenkins said, was a language barrier.

He said an officer from the Montgomery County police was on his way to help as an interpreter.

The scene of the attack was just to the northwest of Sugarloaf Mountain, a popular hiking destination in the Washington region and a scenic landmark.

In 2011, the Anna Prayer Counseling and Retreat Center requested county approval to construct a 12,565-square-foot building and a 1,132-square-foot addition to an existing house for a retreat/conference center.

The construction was to include a new kitchen, cafeteria, auditorium and dormitories.

A county planning commission analysis of the application said the prayer organization originally received an approval in 1986 for four seminars with a maximum attendance of 60.

County documents identified the applicant as the Rev. Kyung Sook Lee.

A document setting out the decision of the Frederick County board of appeals said the panel found that the operations to be conducted on the site would be in harmony with the appropriate and orderly development of the neighborhood.