A man who was fatally shot Monday afternoon in his Southwest Washington apartment had refused to allow the gunman to sell drugs out of the victim’s home, according to a D.C. police arrest affidavit filed in court Wednesday.

The victim and the killer were cousins and childhood friends and lived in apartments across from each other, according to police. As Jerome Diggs, 47, lay dying from several bullet wounds in his apartment, police said he identified to a friend the man who had shot him.

“Yes, Little Gary shot me,” Diggs said, according to the affidavit. “I didn’t call the police. I don’t think I’m going to make it. I just want to let somebody know who shot me.”

D.C. police said that same day they arrested Gary Nathaniel Proctor, 37, of Southwest Washington and charged him with second-degree murder while armed. The shooting occurred about 4:50 p.m. in the 1300 block of First Street SW, in the Greenleaf complex near the Waterfront Metro station. Diggs was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Police said Diggs and Proctor had been arguing for days and that Diggs refused to let Proctor sell drugs from his apartment in the public housing complex. The court affidavit says Diggs had hit Proctor during an argument days earlier at a community cookout.

On Monday, police said that Proctor went to Diggs’s apartment and shot him four or five times. A friend found Diggs barely talking and breathing, police said, and it was then that Diggs named his attacker. Relatives of Diggs could not be reached Wednesday.

Diggs was one of two people killed in afternoon violence in the District on Monday. About 3:15 p.m., police said that a man was fatally stabbed near the D.C. police headquarters building at Judiciary Square. His name has not been made public pending notification of relatives.

Police said the stabbing occurred in the 400 block of­
E Street NW. It is near several prominent buildings, including the Washington field office for the FBI, the U.S. attorney’s office and the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial.

D.C. police said a bystander flagged down a passing police officer, who found the wounded man lying alongside a building. He died later at a hospital.