Robert Alan Davidson and Lorena Thompson (Courtesy of Montgomery County Police Department)

A 24-year-old Maryland man is due in court Monday amid allegations that he sexually abused and killed his 10-week-old daughter. The child’s 22-year-old mother also is charged in a case that has shocked police.

“Very rare, tragic, unconscionable,” Capt. Paul Starks, a spokesman for the Montgomery County police, said Sunday.

The couple — Robert Alan Davidson and Lorena Thompson of Rockville — were booked into the Montgomery County jail on Saturday following a two-month investigation into the death of their daughter, Aleah Thompson. A medical examiner concluded that the infant died of “multiple blunt force injuries.”

Davidson, the girl’s father, is charged with sex abuse of a minor, child abuse resulting in death,
second-degree murder and other counts. Police say he has admitted that he dropped the infant several times and that he aggressively shook her at least once. He was being held Sunday on a $5 million bond, according to court records.

Starks said there is also evidence indicating that Aleah was struck.

Thompson, the girl’s mother, is charged with neglect and child-abuse counts. She was being held Sunday on an $800,000 bond. Police allege that she knew about the injuries, did not report them and didn’t take Aleah to her two-month health checkup.

Before being locked up, neither parent had claimed Aleah’s body, which was being held at the D.C. Medical Examiner’s Office as of Thursday, according to detectives.

Davidson and Thompson are scheduled to have the amounts of their bonds reviewed Monday by a judge. Their attorneys may present at least part of their sides of the case. Efforts to reach friends and family members of the couple for comment were unsuccessful.

According to Lorena Thompson’s Facebook profile, she had been working as a cook at Met Bethesda, a restaurant. Employees there declined to comment Saturday.

The profile image shows two photographs of an infant. On June 26, the day Aleah died, Lorena Thompson posted a tribute to her daughter in a one-minute video that shows about 20 photographs of a tiny child, including photos taken just after birth. There is a caption, which reads in part: “I love you Aleah. I will miss you so much. Feels like I’ve died again inside. 4/16/15 – 6/26/15. RIP. my lady bug my heart beat.”

The case had begun three days earlier, when Davidson called 911 at 7:18 p.m. to report that his daughter was not breathing, according to police allegations filed in court records. Paramedics found Aleah in “an unresponsive state” and took her to nearby Adventist HealthCare Shady Grove Medical Center, where she then was flown to Medstar Georgetown University Hospital, according to the court records. The child was given a diagnosis of head trauma, according to court records.

Police spoke with Davidson, who said that just before calling 911 he had been playing video games and heard the sound of labored breathing in a bedroom. He said he tried to resuscitate Aleah but couldn’t. At the time, Thompson was at work.

Davidson also told investigators that at least twice he touched Aleah in private areas — in a manner that police would later say constituted sexual abuse, according to authorities.

“Robert Davidson also stated he had dropped Aleah Thompson several times, and on one occasion, she even rolled off the couch,” detectives wrote in court papers. “Robert Davidson later admitted to aggressively shaking Aleah Thompson on June 23, 2015.”

When police spoke with Aleah’s mother, she said she saw injuries on Aleah that had originated while she was at work, but she never took her daughter to the hospital, according to the records.

“A witness statement revealed that Lorena Thompson suspected Robert Davidson had inflicted the injuries to Aleah Thompson, but continued to leave the victim in his sole care and custody,” detectives wrote.

Jennifer Jenkins contributed to this report.