The Washington Post

Fairfax police end standoff situation with no injuries

Scene of standoff in Tysons Corner. (Fairfax County Police)

A man involved in a standoff with Fairfax County officers at a Tysons Corner apartment complex Tuesday morning was transferred to a local hospital for evaluation after he was taken into custody, police said.

The man, who was not immediately identified, was apprehended about 9:30 a.m. after police forced their way into an apartment in a high-rise complex in the 8300 block of Greensboro Drive. He was not injured.

The incident began about 2 a.m. when police received a call for a complaint of loud music in the building. When police arrived, a man who was alone in an apartment told police he “would shoot them if they came inside,” according to Bud Walker, a spokesman for the department.

The man told police he had a weapon, but police said that “no weapon was seen.” Officers smelled “what they believe could possibly be gasoline,” Walker said. “Out of an abundance of caution,” Walker said residents on three floors of the building were evacuated and relocated to a nearby community center.

By 6:30 a.m., SWAT teams were on the scene, and police were calling it a “standoff situation.” Walker said officers were communicating with the man through the door of his apartment, but the spokesman said he did not have information about why the man refused to come out.

About 9:30 a.m., officers smelled what they thought might have been smoke, so they forced their way into the apartment and took the man into custody. Afterwards, police removed two dogs from the apartment.

Dan Schmidt, a Fairfax County fire department spokesman, said the man had used an ignitable liquid to set multiple fires in the apartment. He said authorities had sent the liquid out for testing to determine what it is.

Walker said he was awaiting information about whether the man had any weapons. Evacuated residents have been allowed to return to their apartments.

International and Greensboro drives between Spring Hill Road and West Park Drive were closed before 7 a.m., but later reopened.

No charges have been filed.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail.

Dana Hedgpeth is a Post reporter, working the early morning, reporting on traffic, crime and other local issues.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Show Comments
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.