[Update: Investigation continues into deadly shooting in Metro tunnel]

A Metro Transit Police officer fatally shot a man in a tunnel near the Potomac Avenue station Thursday night, authorities said.

The man was not authorized to be there, between the Potomac Avenue and Stadium-Armory stations, a Metro spokeswoman said. Beyond that, little is known about why he was in the tunnel or what happened when he encountered officers.

Authorities said it was not clear whether he was armed or whether he provoked the police officers.

The man was not identified Thursday night.

An operator of a passing train first spotted the man in the tunnel, Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said. The train operator alerted Metro’s Rail Operations Control Center in Prince George’s County.

At 8:53 p.m., according to Metro spokeswoman Morgan Dye, the control center notified the transit agency’s police force about the person in the westbound tunnel near the Potomac Avenue station, which is in Southeast Washington on the Blue, Orange and Silver lines.

Police officers found the man 400 feet east of the station, and one officer, a woman, fired multiple shots, Stessel said.

D.C. police spokesman Paul Metcalf said the shooting happened at 9:10 p.m.

Dye said no officers were injured.

Dye and D.C. police Lt. Sean Conboy both confirmed that the man was killed.

Stessel said that it was not clear at about 11 p.m. whether investigators had found any weapon belonging to the man at the scene.

D.C. police officers were beginning a homicide investigation Thursday night. Dozens of officers surrounded the station entrance at 14th Street and Potomac Avenue SE, and crime-scene technicians were taking their gear down the escalator into the station.

The station was closed to passengers soon after the shooting. Riders were transported by shuttle bus, while emergency vehicles filled the area.

Stessel said riders should expect trains to be running as usual at the Potomac Avenue station Friday morning. If that changes, Metro will post alerts on its social media accounts early in the morning, he said.

The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority has already had a difficult year, beginning with the death of a passenger when a Yellow Line train stopped in a smoke-filled tunnel in January.

Earlier Thursday, the agency’s board decided to stop looking for a new general manager until it figured out what sort of leader could best help it overcome major problems with safety, finances and public relations.

Paul Duggan and Peter Hermann contributed to this report.