Two teenagers were slain within about three hours in the District on Thursday — a young woman shot during what police think was a domestic dispute and a 17-year-old male who was stabbed in a building.

A suspect was arrested Friday afternoon and charged in the stabbing, D.C. police said.

Meanwhile, two men were shot and killed Friday night in the Deanwood area, police said. The shooting occurred in the 5000 block of Lee Street NE, said Officer Hugh Carew, a police spokesman.

Neighbors said they heard between five and 10 shots.

Friday night’s killings and the deaths of the teenagers brought the city’s homicide count to 23 this year, nearly double the total at this point in 2013. Nine killings east of the Anacostia River have occurred in daylight, many of them outside.

Jonathon Adams (Courtesy of Nichelle Adams)

Thursday’s stabbing of Jonathon Adams occurred about 5:15 p.m. in the 4300 block of Halley Terrace SE. Police said Jibril ­Abdul-Muwwakil, 24, of Southeast Washington was charged with second-degree murder while armed in Adams’s death. Police have cited no motive.

The other slain teenager, Tykia Dickerson, 19, of Southeast Washington, was shot about 8:35 p.m. in the 3600 block of Jay Street NE, near the Kenilworth neighborhood.

Police said she was found on a sidewalk and pronounced dead at a hospital. No arrests have been made in that case. Two police officials said it appeared to be the result of a domestic dispute.

A person who saw the aftermath of Adams’s stabbing said the teen came from a building on Halley Terrace and, bleeding, stumbled across the street. He leaned against a car but fell, said the witness, who didn’t want to be identified for fear of retribution.

Signs of the stabbing were visible Friday afternoon. Blood remained on the car. The witness began to sob as she motioned toward the trail of blood.

She said a relative who came to the scene immediately recognized Adams because he wore the jacket and new shoes he had been seen in day before. As she talked, the woman glanced nervously at young men coming and going in the neighborhood. “They know stuff, but they don’t talk,” she said.

Adams was the youngest of three siblings, according to his sister, Davida Limes. Although she is 21, Limes said that he felt more like a big brother to her, always keeping “everybody in check.”

Adams dreamed of going to college and playing professional football, hoping to “get some money and get out of the hood,” she said.

Family members said he was a junior at Ballou High School. Officials at the school would not comment, but a message sent on Ballou’s official Twitter account Friday said: “The Ballou community is saddened that violence continues to take the lives of young people in the community.”

Nichelle Adams, the youth’s aunt, remembered him as a “good-hearted kid” who liked to play video games and chess with his uncle. Still, she acknowledged he was a “product of his environment” and dealt with the pressures faced by a lot of his peers, many of them growing up with single mothers.

“It’s hard for these young boys today,” she said.

The teen’s family learned late Friday of the arrest. “We got a lot of healing [to do], of course, but it was great to know he didn’t go in vain and they got somebody in custody so quick after the murder,” Nichelle Adams said.

Martin Weil and Clarence Williams contributed to this report.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail.