Three people have been arrested in connection with the armed robbery of a man who was found severely injured last month in a residential area of Capitol Hill, D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier said Wednesday night.

Tommy T. Branch, 21, of Fort Washington, Michael Moore, 18, of Landover and a 17-year-old male were taken into custody Wednesday. Lanier said police think that they stole the cellphone of Capitol Hill resident Thomas C. Maslin early Aug. 18.

“The news of tonight’s arrests brings great relief to my family,” Maslin’s wife, Abigail Maslin, said late Wednesday in an e-mail, adding that police “have worked tirelessly . . . to bring justice to this case.”

Thomas Maslin, 29 at the time of the attack, suffered a traumatic brain injury and is being treated at a rehabilitation hospital, she said.

He was last seen before the attack about 12:30 a.m. Aug. 18 leaving a tavern on Pennsylvania Avenue SE.

Thomas C. Maslin, with wife Abigail and son Jack. (Courtesy Abigail Maslin)

Lanier said one suspect was linked to a silver sedan seen in video footage about 1 a.m. at a gas station blocks from where Maslin had been robbed. Police think the suspects tried to use Maslin’s credit card at the Exxon in the 1200 block of Pennsylvania Avenue SE.

Maslin was found unconscious and grievously wounded later that morning on the front porch of a home in the 700 block of North Carolina Avenue SE. He has undergone multiple surgeries to relieve brain swelling.

“I can’t say enough about how heartbreaking it is to see that something as simple as a piece of property, a cellphone, can cause someone the type of injury and grief that these three individuals have caused the Maslin family and that they will live with for the rest of their lives,” Lanier said.

Lanier said tips from the community connected Maslin’s robbery to another that occurred about 3:30 the same morning. The three males were accused of robbing three people at gunpoint in the 1800 block of 18th Street NW in the Adams Morgan area. They were arrested shortly afterward. They had been released while awaiting trial before they were arrested Wednesday in the case involving Maslin.

The solar-energy analyst had been enjoying a night with friends at a Capitol Hill bar after a Nationals game. He apparently had been walking home when the assault occurred and was found at 8:15 a.m., about seven blocks from his house.

“Ongoing recovery may take years,” Abigail Maslin said in another e-mail.

Although he is expected to undergo brain surgery soon, “he has made great strides in his recovery,” she wrote. “His survival itself is a miracle.”