The Washington Post

Three siblings are arrested in the caseof missing Virginia police reservist

Virginia State Police have arrested three Albemarle County siblings on charges related to the disappearance of a Waynesboro police reserve captain last weekend, officials announced Wednesday. But investigators have not found the missing man.

Local and state police began searching for Kevin Wayne Quick, 45, and his silver 1999 Toyota 4Runner after his family reported him missing early Saturday.

At about 11 p.m. Tuesday night, police found the vehicle at an Alexandria hotel, and they took into custody Mersadies Shelton, 20, and Daniel Mathis, 18, who is also known as Daniel Shelton, 18, state police said in a statement. Authorities said they charged both Sheltons with possession of stolen property and grand larceny in the theft of Quick’s SUV.

Police also took a third sibling, 24-year-old Shantai M. Shelton, into custody at the Alexandria. They are holding her on an outstanding warrant from Louisa County on charges of selling stolen property and obtaining money by false pretense, officials said.

All three siblings are being held without bond at the Central Virginia Regional Jail in Orange, Va., police said.

Authorities are continuing to search for answers about Quick’s disappearance.

He was last seen at about 10:15 p.m. Friday in Afton, Va., after he left his mother’s home and headed to a friend’s apartment in Albemarle County, Va., about 20 miles away. Quick never arrived.

Police obtained photos of his Toyota in Fork Union, Va. on Friday and in the Manassas area the next day.

Quick, who is a captain in the Waynesboro Police Department’s reserve unit, is white, 6 feet 1 inch tall, and weighs about 200 pounds. He has brown hair, hazel eyes and a medium build. He wears contacts or glasses and has a scar above his left eye.

Anyone with information is encouraged to call the Virginia State Police at #77 on a cellphone or at (434) 352-7128.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail

Clarence Williams is the night police reporter for The Washington Post and has spent the better part of 13 years standing next to crime scene tape, riding in police cars or waking officials in the middle of night to gather information about breaking news in and around Washington.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Show Comments
Most Read



Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.