The Washington Post

Toxic fumes at house in Southeast D.C.send 3 firefighters, 1 resident to hospital

Two D.C. firefighters and a Southeast Washington resident were sent to the hospital Wednesday night after they inhaled toxic fumes inside the resident’s home, D.C. fire officials said.

Firefighters were dispatched for a medical call in the 2300 block of Good Hope Road about 6:45 p.m., and about 30 minutes later the firefighters called for a Hazmat unit, said Timothy Wilson, a D.C. fire and emergency service department spokesman. The firefighters encountered a mixture of pesticides that produced fumes inside the home.

Two firefighters and a resident of the house, who was not identified by age or gender, were taken to a hospital with injuries that were not life threatening, Wilson said.

Get updates on your area delivered via e-mail

Clarence Williams is the night police reporter for The Washington Post and has spent the better part of 13 years standing next to crime scene tape, riding in police cars or waking officials in the middle of night to gather information about breaking news in and around Washington.

The Freddie Gray case

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Campaign 2016 Email Updates

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!

Get Zika news by email

Please provide a valid email address.

You’re all set!
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

local

crime

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.