A 37-year-old inmate at the Fairfax County jail has died after she was Tasered by deputies last week, the sheriff’s office said Sunday.

Natasha McKenna, whose last listed address was in Alexandria, was removed from life support Sunday and later died.

A stun gun was used on McKenna on Tuesday after she refused to comply with deputies’ commands and physically resisted them as they prepared her for transport to Alexandria to face charges there, the sheriff’s office said.

McKenna was eventually restrained and checked by medical personnel, but when she was moved to another part of the jail for transport she experienced a medical emergency, the sheriff’s office said.

Emergency responders were called and deputies administered life-saving care, authorities said.

Fairfax City Fire Chief Dave Rohr said crews were called to the jail about 11:20 a.m. Tuesday.

Rohr said McKenna was suffering from cardiac arrest and was resuscitated on the way to Inova Fairfax Hospital. She was placed on life support there.

The sheriff's office began an internal investigation into the incident but said it will be turned over to the Fairfax County police with McKenna’s death.

In a statement Sunday, Fairfax County Sheriff Stacey Kincaid said her office was fully cooperating with the investigation.

“We anticipate a prompt and comprehensive investigation and will continue to update our website as new information becomes available,” Kincaid said.

Kincaid declined to answer additional questions about the incident when interviewed at her office Friday but said she wanted to be “transparent” and would release additional information as warranted.

Fairfax County police spokesman Bud Walker declined to comment on the investigation, saying, “We are just beginning.”

A person who answered the phone at a number listed for McKenna’s mother hung up on a reporter Friday. Family members could not be reached Sunday.

McKenna had been held at the Fairfax County jail since Jan. 26 on a charge of assault on a law enforcement officer. She had no bond.

Two people familiar with the case said she had been held in the Fairfax jail’s mental health unit.