The Crofton man accused of threatening a workplace shooting will be under Global Positioning System monitoring and will not have access to guns while undergoing mental health treatment, a judge ruled Thursday.

Neil Edwin Prescott, 28, appeared in Mental Health Court to update a judge on his first week outside of an inpatient mental health facility after being taken into custody last month. Police raided Prescott’s apartment, seized two dozen firearms that he legally owns, and later charged him with using a telephone to make threats.

Prescott’s attorney gave a Prince George’s County judge a report from a social worker and a doctor that said Prescott was “not a danger” and that he did not have “any further psychiatric issues” that would make him a threat.

His attorney, William C. Brennan Jr., said Prescott had five outpatient mental health appointments and has been taking medication since leaving the care of mental health experts last week. Prescott had an emergency psychiatric evaluation after the raid and then was being treated voluntarily for an undisclosed condition.

Prescott’s case drew national headlines in July when police said they thwarted a potential mass shooting, citing elements reminiscent of the Aurora, Colo., theater attack in which 12 were killed and 58 wounded during a showing of a Batman movie.

This undated handout photo provided by Prince George's County police shows weapons found in the possession of a suspect who they say was plotting a shooting in his workplace. (Prince George's County police/AP)

Police said Prescott made threats in phone calls with his former supervisor, allegedly telling his old boss, “I am a joker. I am going to load my guns and blow everybody up.”

Days later, authorities charged Prescott with a single misdemeanor count of misusing the telephone, which carries a maximum of three years in jail and a $500 fine. At the time, Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela Alsobrooks called for tougher state laws against making threats and a renewed focus on keeping guns away from people with mental health problems.

Thursday, Alsobrooks held a brief news conference after Prescott’s hearing to say her office is “confident his case is being appropriately handled under the jurisdiction of our mental health court, where we believe it belongs.”

“We are happy to announce that we feel his GPS monitoring will give the community the measure of comfort they need,” Alsobrooks said. She declined to say whether she thought that Prescott should serve jail time in the case. She again thanked police for their “swift action.”

“I think they abated a potentially very dangerous situation,” Alsobrooks said.

District Court Judge Patrice E. Lewis reaffirmed the conditions set last week when Prescott was released from custody, including that he remain in treatment, take medication and not contact his former employer. Thursday, she ordered that he submit to GPS monitoring and leave his parent’s Parkton, Md., home only for legal and medical appointments.

Prescott declined to comment on the case to a reporter, but he told Lewis in open court that he understood what was expected to him. Prescott is scheduled to have another status hearing with Lewis on Sept. 11. His attorney, Brennan, declined to comment on the case