A D.C. Superior Court judge Friday ruled that a veteran District police officer facing criminal charges in an Aug. 26 shooting that wounded one person should continue to be held in jail.

Judge Ann O’Regan Keary called the case “shocking” and ordered Kenneth D. Furr, a 21-year veteran of the force, held on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon in connection with the shooting that occurred around 5 a.m.

Authorities said Furr was off duty and intoxicated when he fired a gun into a car carrying five people, striking one. They did not provide details about the age or gender of the victims to protect their identities. Two of the people in the car previously have told The Washington Post they are transgender women.

The confrontation began at a CVS drug store in Northwest Washington when Furr, 47, and one person were talking, and a second person interjected and got into an argument with Furr, according to charging documents. A CVS security guard ordered the trio to leave.

One of the transgender women told The Post that Furr “told me he wanted to pay me to have sex.” Furr did not touch her, she said, and a friend intervened.

Outside, according to prosecutors, Furr reached into his white Cadillac and pulled a handgun from the glove compartment and displayed it before driving off.

The two people who had been in the store then met up with three others and drove off in a mint-green Chrysler 300, court documents say. A short time later, the cars collided in the 100 block of Pierce Street NW.

Furr jumped on the hood of the Chrysler and fired five shots through the windshield, striking one of the passengers in the arm and hand, according to the documents. At the time of the shooting, one witness allegedly heard Furr yell: “I’m a kill all of you.”

Furr’s attorney, Harold Martin, argued that the credibility of the witnesses and the victim were in question. After the shooting, the victim was arrested for possession of marijuana. Another witness admitted to drinking alcohol before the incident. And the statements of witnesses are not consistent, Martin argued. Martin his client was “defending himself.”

Assistant U.S. Attorney Lara Worm said Furr “had a pattern of reckless behavior” and in 2004 was dismissed from the force for driving under the influence. That decision was later reversed after Furr agreed to attend a diversion program, Worm said.

Furr, who officials said was on sick leave at the time of the incident, was arrested at the scene. Worm said test results showed he was intoxicated.