Then-D.C. Council candidate Marion Christopher Barry cast his vote in April even as charges remained pending over a January incident that could result in jail time. (Erin Schaff/For The Washington Post)

Marion Christopher Barry, the son of the city’s late mayor, will plead guilty in connection with a January incident in a Chinatown bank that helped derail his campaign for D.C. Council, court records show.

A motion filed by an assistant U.S. attorney has asked a judge to cancel a trial date for Barry set for Wednesday “for the purpose of the defendant pleading guilty pursuant to the plea deal.”

A spokesman for the D.C. U.S. Attorney’s Office declined to comment further. A call and a text message to Barry, and a call and an e-mail to his attorney, were not immediately returned.

Barry is accused of a violent outburst on Jan. 13 at a PNC Bank branch near the Verizon Center. The incident began after he allegedly asked to withdraw $20,000 and was instead told that his account was overdrawn by $2,000.

According to police documents, Barry threw a trash can over a panel of security glass, striking and destroying a surveillance camera while the incident was being recorded on other cameras.

Barry also allegedly threatened the bank teller who refused him money. A police report quoted him as saying “I’m going to have someone waiting for you when you get off, you b---.”

Coming just eight days after he announced his candidacy for his father’s vacant Ward 8 council seat, the incident helped end Barry’s campaign before it began. The younger Barry gained prominence eulogizing his father before a crowd of thousands in December, but the incident highlighted anew concerns that Barry was not ready for the spotlight of public office.

Police charged Barry with simple assault, destruction of property, and attempted threats to do bodily harm. Prosecutors also warned that the charges could bring jail time because Barry was still on probation following a guilty plea a month earlier to resolve other charges. In one of those, Barry was accused of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol in 2014.

In a plea deal offered in the bank incident in February, prosecutors said they would dismiss the simple assault charge if Barry pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charges of attempted threats and destruction of property. Under that plea, he would have faced a maximum sentence of 360 days in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Because of his prior convictions, prosecutors said at the time that Barry did not qualify for a diversion program, such as community service, whereby the charges would then be dismissed.

Barry declined the plea and went ahead with his campaign. He attended numerous candidate forums but appeared only occasionally in the campaign’s final weeks, including once to dismiss rumors that he was dropping out. He finished sixth with a little over 550, or 7 percent, of 7,300 ballots cast.

Barry’s campaign Twitter account went dark on Election Day, and activity on his other social media accounts became sporadic.

In the consent motion, which was filed Friday, Assistant U.S. Attorney David Minsler wrote that after the trial date was set, “the parties continued plea discussions and have worked a plea deal.”

Barry is due in court Wednesday morning.

Keith L. Alexander contributed to this report.