City schools in Charlottesville operated on a modified lockdown Wednesday following a threatening message board post, officials said.
The FBI on Wednesday alerted the Charlottesville Police Department about the post, which expressed “discontent with recent events in Charlottesville,” according to a police statement on the city’s website.
The person, or people, who posted on the unidentified message board also “expressed their admiration” for Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock, who killed 58 people and injured hundreds more during a shooting rampage earlier this month.
“They went on to say that Charlottesville, in particular, schools within the city, should be the next target,” the statement said.
A message sent to the families and staff of Charlottesville City Schools on Wednesday evening said authorities had given the all clear for normal activities to resume Thursday.
“The FBI has identified the source of the Internet comments in another state, and the situation has been resolved,” it read. “They do not believe there is any further threat to our schools. Even so, we will maintain an increased police presence in the form of extra patrols.”
Parents had previously been told students at city schools would stay indoors when possible Wednesday and would be supervised when they had to be outside. The schools held recess and gym classes inside, according to a message sent to families and staff.
Charlottesville, home to the University of Virginia, has been the site of unrest in recent months. In August, white nationalist Richard Spencer led a torchlight march across the U-Va. campus, and that weekend, white nationalists, neo-Nazis and Ku Klux Klan members clashed with counterprotesters in the city. One person was killed when a car barreled into crowds, and more than a dozen were injured.
Spencer returned to Charlottesville earlier this month. He posted a video on social media of another torchlight display, with his followers marching to a statue of Confederate General Robert E. Lee, which the city has planned to remove.