Two 14-year-old girls face juvenile criminal charges after a fight at a Maryland high school that involved a knife, Howard County police said.

Authorities were called to the Oakland Mills High School cafeteria at 7:15 a.m. Tuesday, following a report of the fight, the department said in a Facebook post. The incident involved two ninth-grade students.

One of the girls had pulled out a folding knife during an argument and tried to use it on the other teen, according to the Facebook post.

The fight was broken up by two staff members at the school in Columbia, authorities said. Those staff members, who were not identified by police, suffered minor injuries and were examined by paramedics.

The two staff members didn't need to be taken to a hospital, and no one was seriously hurt, police said.

"We know that a physical altercation between two students at Oakland Mills High School involving a knife has been unsettling for many people in the Oakland Mills community," district spokesman Brian Bassett said.

Bassett said school staff members "took swift action" to diffuse the incident.

"And they initiated their school emergency plan the way that they should have to ensure the safety of the students and staff," he said.

The district will help police with their investigation, if needed, Bassett said.

"But we commend the swift response by school staff and police, because that certainly diffused the altercation," he said.

The incident did not prompt a lockdown at Oakland Mills because it happened before the school day started. The hallways were not crowded at the time, Bassett said, and the first bell had not yet rung.

"It occurred in the cafeteria, and there were very few students in there," he said.

One girl involved in the incident has been charged with assault, possession of a deadly weapon on school property and disruption of school activities, according to police.

Investigators discovered that the second girl had a folding knife, too. She has been charged with possession of a deadly weapon on school property.

The names of the teens were not released, because they were charged as juveniles.