A University of Virginia student looks over postings on the door of Peabody Hall last month after rape allegations at the school in Charlottesville. (Steve Helber/AP)

University of Virginia administrators said Wednesday that the findings of an outside review of sexual assaults on campus will be made public when the investigation is completed.

A statement issued Wednesday by Board of Visitors Rector George K. Martin said that the Washington law firm O’Melveny & Myers will serve as an independent counsel to review the university’s sexual assault policies and procedures. Martin said that when the investigation is completed, the findings of the independent counsel will be publicly available.

“As a public university, we serve the citizens of the commonwealth, and I am committed to sharing the independent counsel’s findings as a public record,” Martin said. “We stand ready to take decisive action based on what we learn, and to share that with our University community.”

University President Teresa A. Sullivan asked Charlottesville police and Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D) to separately investigate allegations of a brutal sexual assault on campus detailed in a Rolling Stone magazine account.

The pop culture magazine published a explosive story alleging a brutal sexual assault at the U-Va. Phi Kappa Psi fraternity house on Sept. 28, 2012. In the magazine’s account, a student named Jackie said she was ambushed at a “date function” and was gang-raped by seven fraternity brothers.

Phi Kappa Psi announced this month that the fraternity did not host a date function that weekend and that no member of the house resembled the man Jackie described to Rolling Stone as her main attacker. The Rolling Stone story has further been called into question as Jackie’s friends have identified inconsistencies in the article.

In addition, information Jackie provided to friends about her date from the fraternity that night led to a man who told The Post that he has never met Jackie in person and to a second man who said he was a high school classmate of Jackie’s and who now attends college in a different state.

Martin said that the independent review will help the university move forward in the wake of the sexual assault allegations detailed in Rolling Stone.

“We need to have an objective, outside assessment of our policies and practices, and how we can strengthen student safety on Grounds,” Martin said. “The safety of our students is our first and foremost priority.”

Correction: An earlier version of this story inadvertently dropped the first name of Board of Visitors Rector George K. Martin. The story has been updated.