A Largo man went on a crime spree in 2008 and 2009, breaking into a series of Prince George’s County homes to rob terrified residents at gunpoint, burglarizing a gun store and sexually assaulting a teenage girl, an attack he took photos of, a federal prosecutor said during opening arguments Wednesday in the trial of Jason Thomas Scott.
Scott, who is charged with federal counts of carjacking, theft of firearms and producing child pornography, typically invaded a home with an accomplice, with both attackers wearing dark clothes, gloves and ski masks, Assistant U.S. Attorney Stacy D. Belf said in U.S. District Court in Greenbelt.
In one attack, which Scott committed alone, he forced a teenage girl into a bedroom at gunpoint as the girl’s mother begged him to take her instead, Belf said. Scott forced the girl to disrobe and took photos and video of his sexual assault on her, Belf said.
When he took the girl back to her mother, he said, “I was supposed to kill you, but you’re cool,” Belf said.
In a separate case, Scott, 28, is charged in Prince George’s in the grisly slayings of a mother and her daughter from Largo in March 2009. He is also a “person of interest” in the January 2009 slayings of another mother and daughter from Largo. Detectives are also investigating Scott in relation to a 2008 homicide in which a Bowie woman was shot in her home, which was then set on fire, authorities said.
The homicides are not part of the federal case.
In his opening statement Wednesday, defense attorney Kobie Flowers admitted that Scott is guilty of illegally possessing and selling guns but argued that he is innocent of the other charges.
Flowers acknowledged that Scott told federal authorities that he had committed 61 crimes, which he said included 28 burglaries and nine home invasions.
Scott exaggerated his criminal activities, Flowers said, because he was “struggling with his identity. He’s a guy who’s looking for acceptance. He is a broken man.” Government witnesses will testify that Scott is gay, Flowers said, suggesting that circumstance has complicated the defendant’s struggles.
Flowers said investigators found no forensic evidence to implicate Scott. Two co-defendants have pleaded guilty in connection with the burglary of the gun store and a home invasion, respectively, and agreed to testify against Scott. Flowers said their testimony will not be credible.
Scott was arrested and locked up in July 2009 after agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives raided his home and found 14 of the guns taken from the burglarized gun store.
A year later, Scott was indicted by a Prince George’s grand jury on two counts of murder. The grand jury charged Scott in the killings of Delores Dewitt, 42, and her daughter Ebony, who was 20.
Their bodies were found inside a burning stolen car in Largo on March 16, 2009. The Dewitts had been strangled, according to federal court records. Scott is scheduled to go on trial for those murders in Prince George’s Circuit Court in Upper Marlboro in November.