Man charged in fatal stabbing, earlier attack

D.C. police arrested a Southeast Washington man in the fatal stabbing of a 48-year-old man in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood Tuesday afternoon and said he was responsible for another knife attack earlier that day in downtown.

Authorities charged 51-year-old Joseph Melton with first-degree murder while armed in the killing of Kevin Chamberlain, of no fixed address, police said in a statement. Officers found Chamberlain in the 2400 block of Virginia Avenue NW about 2:35 p.m. Tuesday and medics took him to a hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, police said.

Investigators also charged Melton with assault with intent to kill in an attack that happened in front of the Department of Veterans Affairs in the 800 block of Vermont Avenue NW about 12:35 p.m. Tuesday, police said.

The victim in that attack suffered a stab wound to the abdomen and lost consciousness while talking to a responding police officer, according to a police report. Medics took the victim to a hospital.

Authorities did not provide a motive in either attack.

— Clarence Williams


3 lanes of inner loop to close for repairs

Motorists will want to avoid the inner loop of Maryland’s Capital Beltway overnight Thursday while crews close three of the four lanes for emergency guardrail repairs between River Road and Interstate 270.

One lane will close at 9 p.m., the second at 10 p.m. and a third at 11 p.m. All lanes are scheduled to reopen by 5 a.m. Friday, according to the Maryland State Highway Administration.

Highway officials said motorists who travel through the area should be prepared for reduced speeds.

— Katherine Shaver

Body of missing man found in Oxon Hill

A D.C. man reported missing Sunday was found fatally shot in Oxon Hill, Prince George’s County police said.

Marcus Shabazz, 25, was shot multiple times, according to police. His body was left in a wooded area off Iverson Street just over the Maryland border from the District.

Police are asking for information about Shabazz’s death as they work to determine a suspect and motive.

He was last seen alive about 2 a.m. Sunday on Elvans Road SE in the Barry Farm neighborhood, about four miles from where his body was found.

— Rachel Weiner

Medical examiner to probe stadium death

The Baltimore medical examiner’s office has opened an investigation into the death of a Baltimore Ravens fan who slipped and fell on steps inside M & T Bank Stadium during Saturday’s playoff game, an agency spokesman said.

Examiners are looking into circumstances of the incident and have conducted toxicology tests, although the results aren’t expected for several months, according to the office of the chief medical examiner.

Mike Kahler, 30, stumbled on the steps going toward his seat in the stadium’s upper deck during the game between the Ravens and the Tennessee Titans, a Ravens representative said.

Officials initially reported that a fan had collapsed while walking on the steps of the upper deck.

When medical personnel arrived they were unable to revive him. Information about Kahler’s fall has been sparse, and local law enforcement agencies say they aren’t part of efforts to find out what happened.

— Baltimore Sun