Pr. George’s police collect public’s guns

The Prince George’s County Police Department received 102 firearms Saturday during a guns-for-gift-cards event, officials said.

Dozens of local residents handed in pistols, hunting rifles, shotguns and two AR-15-style semiautomatic assault rifles. At the event at the Eglise Baptiste du Calvaire in Adelphi, people received gift cards loaded with cash of varying amounts, depending upon what type of weapon they gave to the police. Some cards were worth $125.

During similar events in 2012, Prince George’s police recovered about 450 guns.

— T. Rees Shapiro

Water restrictions are lifted in counties

Restrictions on water use in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties have been lifted after repairs were completed to the water main that broke in Chevy Chase, authorities said.

The utility that serves the two counties imposed the restrictions so that pressure could be restored after 60 million gallons were lost in the Tuesday night rupture of a 60-inch main.

The aim was to ensure adequate pressure for firefighting.

The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission said Saturday evening that the main has been repaired but that restoration of the area around it will take weeks. The work includes repairs to the roadway and sidewalk and removal of damaged trees.

As a result, the WSSC said, the northbound lane on the far-right side of Connecticut Avenue will remain closed near the break.

— Martin Weil

Arlington fire sends six to the hospital

Six people, including children, were treated for smoke inhalation at local hospitals Saturday after a fire swept through a dwelling in Arlington County.

Paramedics and fire department personnel received a call at 10:09 on Saturday morning reporting a fire at a duplex in the 900 block of South Orme Street, across from the Sheraton Pentagon City hotel off South Washington Boulevard.

Arlington fire department spokesman Gregg Karl said that the blaze had been put out by 11:30 a.m. and that six people had been transported to hospitals with injuries that were not considered life-threatening.

Karl said that fire marshals were at the home investigating the cause of the fire.

— T. Rees Shapiro