Man charged in fatal shooting in Southeast

D.C. police have arrested a Northeast Washington man in connection with the June 22 fatal shooting of a Southeast man in the 3500 block of East Capitol Street SE.

The Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force arrested Wesley Monroe, 21, in connection with the fatal shooting of Quentin Lavar White, 28.

Monroe was charged with first-degree murder while armed in White’s death.

— Keith L. Alexander

14-year-old shot twice in back in NE

A 14-year-old boy was shot twice in the back in Northeast Washington early Friday, authorities said.

The youth was shot about 12:20 a.m. in the 700 block of Langston Terrace NE, and the assailant fled in an unknown direction, according to Officer Araz Alali, a D.C. police spokesman.

The victim was taken to a hospital, Alali said. Police did not know his condition.

— Stefanie Dazio

Husband, wife killed selves, officials say

Loudoun County authorities said Friday that it appears that a Middleburg couple died of self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

The names of the man and woman have not been released.

Police were called to the couple’s home in the 600 block of West Washington Street about 10 p.m. Wednesday.

Authorities found a woman with a gunshot wound. She was taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where she died, authorities said.

Her husband, sheriff’s officials said, returned home with family members that night. On Thursday, police were called back to the home about 10:30 a.m. and found the woman’s husband dead of a gunshot wound.

The couple were in their 40s, authorities said.

— Dana Hedgpeth

Cocaine arrest
made at Dulles

U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers arrested Guatemalan courier Eric Eduardo Estacuy Juarez last week after catching him with suspicious toiletries after he arrived at Dulles International Airport, authorities said.

Authorities said Estacuy Juarez, 39, was flying from Guatemala through Panama when he was referred on June 28 to a routine secondary examination, as is policy for arriving couriers. That’s when CBP officers spotted suspicious shampoo bottles that allegedly were constructed with double walls.

According to court documents, officers cut one of the bottles open and found what appeared to be a white, powdery substance wrapped in cellophane that allegedly field-tested positive for the presence of cocaine.

Officials said there were just over two pounds of cocaine — with a street value of about $60,000.

— Lori Aratani