Man is found deadin burning SUV

A man who was found dead in a burning sport-utility vehicle in Northeast Washington on Tuesday night is believed to have been reported missing in Maryland, D.C. police said.

Authorities said they had tentatively identified the victim but did not make his name public, saying they are awaiting confirmation from forensic tests by the medical examiner’s office.

A D.C. police spokesman said that foul play is not suspected.

Police and firefighters found the 2013 Toyota Highlander about 11:30 p.m. on railroad tracks east of Route 295 at Benning Road, behind the Deanwood Metro Station.

According to a police report, the vehicle was on fire and a man was found inside. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The cause of the fire was under investigation Wednesday.

— Peter Hermann

Man jumps out of bush, grabs woman

A woman was walking in Woodbridge when a stranger jumped out of a bush and grabbed her, authorities said.

The assault happened just before 7 a.m. Wednesday in the area of Walnut and Sycamore streets in Prince William County.

The woman broke away from the assailant and ran to a business. Police were called, and the women was taken to a hospital.

Police are investigating the incident.

— Dana Hedgpeth

Mystery of Md. zoo’s
baby giraffe is solved

Four months after a baby giraffe died at the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore, scientists said they now have a clue as to why its health was so troubled in its short life, officials said.

A necropsy done by doctors at the Johns Hopkins Hospital found that the giraffe calf, named Julius, had lesions on the left side of his brain.

Julius’s health worsened shortly after he was born in mid-June. Zookeepers found that he could not nurse, meaning that he was unable to get needed antibodies from his mother’s milk to build his immune system. Zookeepers tried other ways to help and care for him, even using a bottle.

About a month after Julius was born, veterinarians decided to euthanize him.

Experts knew that something was wrong with Julius shortly after he was born and had trouble nursing and gaining weight. They didn’t know of the lesions on his brain until the necropsy.

“He would never be a healthy giraffe,” Mike McClure, general curator at the Maryland Zoo, told the Baltimore Sun, which first reported on the lesions.

— Dana Hedgpeth