Gov. Larry Hogan kicks off Project CORE (Creating Opportunities for Renewal and Enterprise) in West Baltimore's Sandton-Winchester neighborhood Jan. 5. (Marvin Joseph/The Washington Post)

Gov. Larry Hogan is calling for the state to not only help finance the demolition of vacant buildings in Baltimore but also to pay for a similar, smaller effort in a few small towns and older suburbs in Western Maryland.

Hogan (R) submitted a supplemental budget proposal to the General Assembly on Thursday that includes $18 million next year for the planned demolition of vacant buildings in Baltimore and an additional $3.5 million to knock down empty, dilapidated buildings in other areas around the state.

The spending plan also includes $11 million for the ­“watershed investment plan,” the state’s effort to clean up the Chesapeake Bay; $3 million for a newly created scholarship program for early high school graduates; and $2.3 million for a 2 percent raise for providers of substance-abuse services for the uninsured and to support ­heroin-related criminal investigations.

House Speaker Michael E. Busch (D-Anne Arundel) said he couldn’t comment on the supplemental because he had not seen it yet. The supplemental was released after the General Assembly adjourned Thursday.

Hogan announced plans last month to spend $75 million over the next four years for the demolition in Baltimore. The first installment is $18 million, which adheres to the stipulations under the memorandum of understanding that Baltimore officials signed off on Wednesday, Budget Secretary David Brinkley said.

The $3.5 million to “address blight and lack of investment” in some of the state’s small towns is a new initiative.

Hogan said in a statement that ridding Baltimore of empty buildings and replacing them with green space and parks has the potential to “deliver lasting change” and “pave the way for private sector investment.”

“The state’s commitment to provide $75 million over four years for demolition is part of a bipartisan, common-sense effort that will help to make sure Baltimore’s future is better and brighter than its present or its past,” the governor said.

Officials estimate that there are 16,000 vacant homes in Baltimore, a former industrial hub whose population has shrunk by a third since the 1950s. They also said that 20 blocks of buildings will be demolished in the first year.

The supplemental budget is the second that Hogan has given to the General Assembly in less than a week. On Friday last week, Hogan proposed spending $15 million to help Prince George’s County’s hospital system as it continues a transition to become a regional hospital center run by the University of Maryland Medical System.

Hogan’s proposed supplemental budget to Baltimore and Prince George’s County’s hospital system came after Democratic leaders in the General Assembly repeatedly questioned why the funding was not part of the governor’s original spending plan.

The supplemental budget is an adjustment to an original spending plan that comes after the budget has been introduced to the General Assembly. Under Maryland law, the legislature cannot add money to the budget, but it can make reductions.

Fenit Nirappil contributed to this report.