The baby who became an instant celebrity after his birth this week in the L’Enfant Plaza Metro station left the hospital Saturday afternoon, bound for his mother’s home in Southeast Washington.

Just before 1 p.m., Shavonnte Taylor, 23, was pushed in a wheelchair outside George Washington University Hospital. On her lap, she displayed her 2-day-old son, Amir, who was sleeping peacefully in a white knit cap and strapped into a car seat for the ride home.

“I can’t wait to have him home,” Taylor told the reporters, photographers and videographers who were assembled to chronicle the departure. “He’s now doing very good. He’s healthy and happy.”

Amir, who weighed 8 pounds, 5 ounces at birth, was discharged after spending two days in the neonatal intensive-care unit at GWU. Doctors had been monitoring his breathing after he suffered from “respiratory distress shortly after birth,” hospital officials said in a statement Friday.

Amir’s birth Thursday was assisted by several people, including two Metro Transit Police officers, station managers and a off-duty licensed emergency medical technician. Taylor expressed her gratitute to those who helped her.

Amir Mason, who was born Thursday at L’Enfant Metro station, is headed home with his mother after spending two days at the hospital. (Nikki Kahn and Sandi Moynihan/The Washington Post)

“Once again, thank you,” she said during a brief statement to reporters.

On Twitter, Amir was dubbed #Metrobaby, and many suggested that the baby be named after a Metro station.

L’Enfant, Woodley and Dunn Loring were some of the names people pitched.

“We had his name picked,” Taylor said. “His grandmother picked the first name, and I picked his middle name.”

Taylor’s voice started breaking when she talked about the moment the contractions began. Her due date was Aug. 17, and she was on her way to a doctor’s appointment near Foggy Bottom when her contractions started. When she got off the train and tried to transfer from the Green to the Orange line, the pain was so bad she fell to her knees, she said.

“I was praying to at least have it at the hospital,” Taylor said.

Taylor’s sister, Marshay Whytaker, was waiting outside the hospital to drive her sister and nephew home. She said this was the first time she was going to see the baby.

She said she was shocked when she heard about her sister giving birth on the Metro platform.

“Every child has come in a different way,” she said about Taylor’s three other children. She said her sister gave birth to one daughter at home by herself.

“Every time has been fast,” she said.