Man pleads guilty in deaths of two at park

A District man has pleaded guilty to two counts of voluntary manslaughter in a traffic collision in July that killed two men sitting on a park bench in Northwest Washington.

Jeoffrey R. Williams, 57, of Southeast, pleaded guilty to driving a 2003 GMC Yukon SUV at a high speed just before midnight on July 10. Prosecutors say Williams drove on the wrong side of the road, into James Monroe Park in the 2000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue NW and struck Dwight Thomas Spriggs, 42, and Jesus Antonio Llanes-Datil, 63, who were sitting on the bench.

Williams was arrested at the scene. Prosecutors said a blood test later revealed Williams was intoxicated at the time of the crash. Authorities also determined he was driving 63 mph in a 25 mph zone and failed to brake as he approached the bench.

As part of the plea agreement with prosecutors, Williams faces a total prison sentence for both deaths of six to 10 years.

Williams entered the plea Friday in D.C. Superior Court. The U.S. attorney’s office announced the plea Tuesday.

Williams is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 14.

— Keith L. Alexander


Man dies after striking several parked cars

A 23-year-old man was killed when the SUV he was driving hit several parked cars and caught on fire, police said.

Prince George’s County police said Matthew Thomas Sullivan of Huntingtown died after the crash, which happened about 2 a.m. Saturday in Hyattsville.

The incident happened in the 3400 block of Purdue Street near Wells Boulevard. An initial investigation found that Sullivan was driving the SUV and hit several parked cars before the vehicle caught fire. No one was in the cars he struck, police said.

Sullivan suffered severe burns and was pronounced dead at the scene, according to officials.

Police said in a statement that it remains under investigation as to “what caused [Sullivan] to strike the parked cars.”

— Dana Hedgpeth


Part of Glebe Road to close for repairs

North Glebe Road in Arlington near the Chain Bridge will be shut down Wednesday night and into Thursday for repairs after a water main break last week, officials said Tuesday.

No specific time was given for the closure, but it will not occur before 7 p.m. Wednesday, Arlington’s department of environmental quality said. Barring complications, the road is scheduled to reopen in time for the Thursday evening rush hour.

The affected segment of Glebe runs between Military and Chain Bridge roads, officials said.

Officials said the work is needed to repair a transmission main, which was installed about 75 years ago.

No impact on water service is expected.

— Martin Weil