Edward M. Carlstead
Navy commander

Edward M. Carlstead, a retired Navy commander and meteorologist who became a division chief at what is now the National Centers for Environmental Prediction, died Nov. 27 at his home in Fort Washington, Md. He was 88.

The cause was cancer, said a daughter, Kathy Carlstead.

Cmdr. Carlstead served in the Navy from 1943 to 1965 and was a meteorological specialist. Early in his career, he participated in nuclear testing at Bikini and Enewetak atolls in the Pacific. His final active-duty assignment was in Hawaii.

After his military career, he joined the National Weather Service in Honolulu, where he became the meteorologist in charge of the Pacific forecast office. In 1978, he transferred with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to the Washington area and became chief of the National Meteorological Center’s forecast division.

Cmdr. Carlstead, a member of the Senior Executive Service, retired in 1984 and was then self-employed as a meteorological consultant for several years.

Edward Meredith Carlstead was a native of Chillicothe, Mo., and in 1946 graduated from the University of California at Los Angeles under the Navy’s V-12 officer training program. In 1953, he received a master’s degree in meteorology from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, Calif.

He was a fellow of the American Meteorological Society, and his memberships included the Sigma Xi honorary scientific society and the Tantallon Citizens Association in Fort Washington.

His wife of 59 years, Pauline Levicki Carlstead, died in 2009.

Survivors include three children, Edward P. Carlstead of Denver, Kathy Carlstead of Kailua, Hawaii, and Diane Noveroske of Los Alamos, N.M.; a brother; and a grandson.

— Samantha Raphelson

Edward C. Berkowitz

Edward C. Berkowitz, a Washington lawyer for more than four decades who was also active in a variety of community cultural and charitable endeavors, died Dec. 22 at his home in Washington. He was 78.

He had prostate cancer, said his wife, Lois U. Berkowitz.

Mr. Berkowitz retired in 2007 after five years as general counsel to Kastle Systems International in Arlington, an office security business.

He had previously worked in real estate law at several Washington law firms, including Nixon Peabody; Zuckerman Spaeder LLP; and Lane & Edson.

Mr. Berkowitz came to Washington in 1964 as a National Labor Relations Board lawyer. Later he was a lawyer for COMSAT, a telecommunications firm.

His community work included assisting in the restoration and renovation of the Avalon Theatre near Chevy Chase Circle. He also served as a Smithsonian Institution docent in retirement and participated in an AARP and D.C. Bar pro bono program to assist prospective small-business owners.

Edward Chester Berkowitz was born in Perth Amboy, N.J. He graduated from Cornell University in 1956 and from Harvard Law School in 1959. He practiced law in Perth Amboy before coming to Washington.

He was a former board member of Temple Sinai in Washington. He was known as a lively and creative host of an annual Passover seder that included a touch of Mr. Berkowitz’s characteristic humor.

His avocations included hiking and mountain climbing, and he was a member of the Cornell Outdoor Education Alumni advisory council.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Lois Ullman Berkowitz of Washington; two sons, Steven Berkowitz of Oakton, Va., and Peter Berkowitz of Lafayette, Calif.; and three grandchildren. A son, Mark Berkowitz, died in 1989.

— Bart Barnes

Sandra W. Barron-Fiske

Sandra W. Barron-Fiske, who practiced domestic relations law and personal injury law in Rockville for 26 years, died Dec. 6 at her home in Silver Spring. She was 79.

The cause was glioblastoma, a form of brain cancer, said her son, Eric Bord.

Mrs. Barron-Fiske opened Barron & Barron in Rockville with her late husband, David Barron, in 1979. She continued to manage the law firm until her retirement in 2005.

Sandra Weinberg, a New York City native, was raised in the District and was a 1951 graduate of Calvin Coolidge High School. She was a 1976 graduate of George Washington University and a 1979 graduate of American University law school.

She volunteered at Montgomery County domestic violence shelters and mentored younger lawyers. She played bridge and spent summers at her second home, in Bethany Beach, Del.

Her first marriage, to Robert Bord, ended in divorce. Her second husband, David Barron, died in 1985 after six years of marriage.

Survivors include her husband of 20 years, Washington radio personality Fred Fiske of Silver Spring; three children from her first marriage, Eric Bord of Cabin John, Md., Julie Reisinger of Annapolis and Leslie Bord of Dunn Loring, Va.; two stepchildren, Peggy Masser of Columbus, Ohio, and Warren Fiske of Richmond; a sister; 15 grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

— Megan McDonough

Bruce van Voorst
magazine correspondent

Bruce van Voorst, who covered hot spots around the world during more than three decades as a correspondent for Newsweek and Time magazines, died Dec. 9 at Capital Caring’s Halquist Memorial Inpatient Center in Arlington County. He was 81.

The cause was complications from two falls, said his wife, Barbara van Voorst.

Mr. van Voorst worked at Newsweek from 1963 to 1975, serving stints as bureau chief in Bonn, Germany, and Buenos Aires. He was a Washington-based diplomatic correspondent in the 1970s and traveled extensively while covering Secretary of State Henry Kissinger’s “shuttle diplomacy.”

Mr. van Voorst joined Time magazine in 1979 and continued reporting from around the world, including as Middle East bureau chief. He was among the reporters aboard the plane that flew Ayatollah Ruhollah Kho­meini from France to Iran in 1979 after the revolutionary leader’s years in exile.

Mr. van Voorst covered the 1979 siege of the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and the ensuing hostage crisis. In December of that year, he obtained a rare interview with Khomeini. During the course of the interview, Mr. van Voorst informed the ayatollah that he had been chosen as the magazine’s 1979 Man of the Year.

Mr. van Voorst was expelled from the country days later, accused by the Iranian government of inciting the “hatred of the American people” through his reporting on the revolution.

He reported from New York and Brussels, his wife said, before settling in Washington in 1983. He became a senior correspondent for national security affairs, covering the end of the Cold War and crises that included the first Persian Gulf War. Mr. van Voorst retired in 1999.

L. Bruce van Voorst was born in Holland, Mich., where he received a bachelor’s degree in political science from Hope College in 1954. He received a master’s degree, also in political science, from the University of Michigan in 1955.

Before he went into journalism, Mr. van Voorst worked abroad for the CIA. Between his employment at Newsweek and Time, he was a foreign policy aide to Sen. Dick Clark (D-Iowa).

In retirement, Mr. van Voorst became a watercolorist. He sold his works privately and through venues that included the Torpedo Factory in Alexandria. He also wrote on a freelance basis.

His marriage to the former Marilyn Van Hekken ended in divorce. Survivors include his wife of 26 years, Barbara Burris van Voorst of Arlington; four children from his first marriage, Mark van Voorst of White Plains, N.Y., Carol van Voorst, a former ambassador to Iceland, of Arlington, Kathryn Marchmont-Robinson of La Grange Highlands, Ill., and Susan Prins of Holland, Mich.; a sister; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

— Emily Langer

Margaret M. Adams
magazine editor, women’s rights activist

Margaret M. Adams, who worked for decades in magazine publishing, in advertising and as a women’s rights activist, died Nov. 8 at a hospital in Bryn Mawr, Pa. She was 89.

The cause was severe sepsis, said her son Gregory Adams. Mrs. Adams was a former Arlington County resident who moved to Broomall, Pa., in 2000.

Margaret Mary McNeilly was born in Philadelphia, where in the early 1940s she began her career at Curtis Publishing Co. There,, she became director of women’s news assigned to publications including the Saturday Evening Post and Ladies’ Home Journal.

She later moved to New York, where she joined Crowell-Collier Publishing Co. as a manager of public affairs for Women’s Home Companion and Collier’s. Also in New York, she was an account executive at Grey Advertising.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, she was editor in chief of Today’s Girl, a magazine sponsored by the Camp Fire Girls, her son said. She later created a consultancy, Hearth Communications, whose projects included elements of the 1976 national bicentennial programs.

In the mid-1970s, she joined the Hearst publishing corporation and worked for Good Housekeeping magazine, where she became a senior national affairs editor and organized a series of conferences coinciding with the United Nations’ Decade for Women in 1976-85.

Mrs. Adams opened a Good Housekeeping office in Washington in the late 1980s. She retired from Hearst in 1995 but continued to work as a consultant on the East Coast.

She lectured on women’s issues around the world, her son said, and served on boards including the Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services and Marymount University’s Board of Trustees. She received professional honors and recognitions from organizations supporting women’s rights.

Her husband of 14 years, George A. Adams, died in 1976.

Survivors include two sons, Gregory Adams of Redondo Beach, Calif., and Jeffrey Adams of West Chester, Pa.; and three grandchildren.

Emily Langer

Tom C. Clark II
environmental lawyer

Tom C. Clark II, a lawyer who worked for 24 years with the Justice Department’s Environmental Enforcement Section, died Nov. 23 at his home in Annandale, Va. He was 59.

He had cancer, said his wife, Cheryl Clark.

Mr. Clark was the son of former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark and the grandson and namesake of Tom C. Clark, a former U.S. Attorney General and associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

At the Justice Department, Mr. Clark was lead counsel in a number of court cases that led to environmental protection measures. Among them was a case involving the Bunker Hill Superfund site in northern Idaho in which he helped the federal government recover millions of dollars in the form of hazardous waste cleanup work and natural resource damages.

Mr. Clark was lead counsel in a Louisiana case against Marine Shale Processors that resulted in $7 million in civil penalties — applied to cleanup efforts — and an order prohibiting future waste-related activities.

Tom Campbell Clark II was born in Dallas. He lived in Northern Virginia during his teenage years and was a 1971 graduate of J.E.B. Stuart High School in Falls Church. He graduated from Duke University in 1975 and from Golden Gate University law school in San Francisco in 1982.

He was a lawyer in San Francisco before joining the Justice Department in Washington in 1989.

Among the highlights of Mr. Clark’s career was his work as the lead government attorney in a class action lawsuit involving the Department of the Interior’s management of individual Indian trust accounts dating to the 19th century. He reached more than 60 agreements between Indian groups and the U.S. government.

His awards included the John Marshall Award, the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service, and the Presidential Rank Award for Distinguished Service.

Survivors include his wife of 32 years, Cheryl Kessler Clark, and three daughters, Whitney Clark, Taylor Clark and Paige Clark, all of Annandale; his father, Ramsey Clark of New York City; and a sister Ronda Clark of New York City.

— Bart Barnes