Obituaries of residents from the District, Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Edmund J. Gleazer, trade association executive

Edmund J. Gleazer, 99, who retired in 1981 as executive director of the American Association of Community Colleges, died July 31 at a health-care center in San Francisco. The cause was Alzheimer’s disease, said a son, E. Allen Gleazer.

Mr. Gleazer, a Philadelphia native, settled in the Washington area in 1957 and joined what became the American Association of Community Colleges. After stepping down as executive director, he served 29 years as an adjunct professor in the Community College Leadership Program of the University of Texas at Austin. In that period, he lived in Bethesda, Md., and traveled to Texas during the summer. In 2012, he moved to San Francisco.

Gregory A. Curt, cancer researcher

Gregory A. Curt, 64, a cancer researcher and medical oncologist, the former clinical director of the National Cancer Institute, and a captain in the Public Health Service, died July 31 at a hospital in Bethesda, Md. The cause was cancer, said his wife, Suzanne Curt.

Dr. Curt, who lived in Garrett Park, Md., was born in Fall River, Mass. He began an oncology fellowship at the National Cancer Institute in 1980. He was appointed clinical director in 1989 and retired from the health service in 2002, having earlier received its outstanding service medal. At NCI, his research included high-grade brain tumors and drug resistance in cancer cells.

In retirement, Dr. Curt was a director of the pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca, specializing in placing drugs produced by the company in drug trials.

Francis E. ‘Franny’ Murray, athletic equipment manager

Francis E. “Franny” Murray, 94, custodian, dispenser and manager of athletic equipment at Catholic University for 70 years and an unofficial assistant to coaches, died Aug. 4 at his home in Hyattsville, Md. The cause was kidney failure, said a granddaughter, Jennifer Simons.

Mr. Murray, a native Washingtonian, began working part time in the athletic department as a student. After graduating in 1950, he joined full time, and his activities expanded to include refereeing games, counseling and advising athletes, and running an intramural sports program. In 2009 the hardwood floor at the university’s Raymond A. DuFour Athletic Center was named for him. Mr. Murray continued working until shortly before he died.

H. Crane Miller, lawyer

H. Crane Miller, 81, an environmental lawyer who specialized in the law of the oceans and natural disasters and retired in 2006 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, died July 20 at his home in Mitchellville, Md. The cause was metastatic prostate cancer, said his wife, Jane L. Miller.

Mr. Miller, a native of Manchester, Conn., spent 14 years at FEMA. Earlier, he had been in private practice and had also worked for the Navy Department, the Smithsonian Institution and the Senate. He was author or co-writer of 40 research papers and publications.

He was a former senior warden, choir director and worship committee chair at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church on Capitol Hill. He also was a woodworker, birdwatcher and volunteer picture framer for residents of the Collington retirement community in Mitchellville.

Sarah Gotbaum, civic activist

Sarah Gotbaum, 92, a Montgomery County activist and advocate for women’s and seniors’ issues, who founded and chaired what is now the Elder Women’s Aging Alliance, died Aug. 7 at a hospice center in Rockville. The cause was heart ailments, said a son, Noah Gotbaum.

Dr. Gotbaum — she was 65 when she received a doctorate in urban sociology from Yale — was born Sarah Cohen in Brooklyn to Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe. She settled in the Washington area in 1977 and served on search and advocacy groups seeking to place and promote women in high-level government jobs and federal judgeships.

She chaired the Member Advisory Council of the Group Health Association, a health maintenance organization. She was a resident of Chevy Chase, Md., and in May she received an award from Montgomery County for advocacy at the community level.

Cordell Hart, CIA, Treasury officer

Cordell Hart, 75, a former CIA officer, Treasury Department intelligence analyst and Army officer during the Vietnam War, died July 3 at his home in Bethesda, Md. The cause was a heart attack, said his wife, Judy Hart.

Mr. Hart was born in Little Rock and moved to the Washington area as a teenager. From the mid-1960s until 1982, he was a CIA operations officer with assignments that included travel to Asia, the Middle East and Latin America. From 1982 to 2002, he worked for the Treasury Department’s Federal Crimes Enforcement Network, which involved travel to Asia. For several years, he founded and ran the Center for Asian Crime Studies, which provided training and consulting for law enforcement and security clients.

Irving Sablosky, USIA officer

Irving Sablosky, 92, a U.S. Information Agency cultural affairs officer who served in Asia and Europe and retired in 1980, died Aug. 3 at his home in Washington. The cause was cancer, said his wife, Juliet Sablosky.

Mr. Sablosky was born in Indianapolis. During Army service in World War II, he spent several months as a prisoner of war after being captured by German forces during the Battle of the Bulge. He spent a decade as a music critic for the Chicago Daily News before joining USIA in the late 1950s. He wrote two books on American music and was a discussion leader on American classical music at American University’s Institute for Learning in Retirement.

Stanley O. Mayer, dentist

Stanley O. Mayer, 69, a dentist who had a private practice in Bethesda, Md., from 1980 until his retirement in 2015, died Aug. 3 at his home in Chevy Chase, Md. The cause was acute myeloid leukemia, said a son, Jonathan Mayer.

Dr. Mayer was born in Seattle. From 1974 to 1980, he was a clinical assistant professor of periodontics and endodontics at the Georgetown University dental school. He was a volunteer at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Patricia Perry, editor

Patricia Perry, 86, an editor with the Social Security Administration who retired in 1998 after about 20 years at the agency, died July 31 at a hospital in Glen Burnie, Md. The cause was lung and heart ailments, said a granddaughter, Enid Tweedie-Perry.

Mrs. Perry was born Patricia Scruby in Bromley, England, and came to the Washington area in the mid-1940s. Among her early jobs, she was a copy aide at The Washington Post, a columnist at the Virginian-Pilot newspaper in Norfolk and an editor with the U.S. Naval Institute in Annapolis. She lived in Pasadena, Md.

Clement C. Alpert, dentist

Clement C. Alpert, 104, who had a general dentistry practice in the District for 60 years, died Aug. 18 at his home in Chevy Chase, Md. The cause was a lung ailment, said a grandson, Mike Madden.

Dr. Alpert, who was born in Lakewood, N.J., served in the Army Dental Corps before opening a dental office in Washington in 1937. He retired in 1997. He was a founder and chief examiner of what is now the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments, which administers and evaluates tests of dental health professionals. He was a longtime member of Adas Israel Congregation in Washington and, with his wife, endowed a scholarship fund at the University of Pennsylvania dental school and a visiting artist fund at Syracuse University.

Marlies Backhaus Murphy, USAID official

Marlies Backhaus Murphy, 71, a project evaluator with the U.S. Agency for International Development who later founded an adoption service assisting Americans adopting children from Ukraine, died Aug. 16 at a hospital in Frederick, Md. The cause was pancreatic cancer, said her husband, Patrick Murphy.

Mrs. Murphy was born Marlies Backhaus in Uder, Germany, which became part of East Germany. She crossed the country’s border into West Berlin before the Berlin Wall was built in 1961, her husband said. She later lived in France and England before coming to the United States. She worked at what was then the Washington Hospital Center and at the French Embassy before joining USAID, where she was a project evaluator from 1979 to 1993. After adopting two children from Ukraine, she and her husband operated Adoption Consultants International from 1998 to 2008. She lived in Bethesda, Md., before moving to Frederick three years ago.

— From staff reports

— From staff reports