Obituaries of residents from the District, Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Carlton Robinson,
traffic engineer

Carlton Robinson, 91, who spent 34 years with what is now the American Highway Users Alliance helping to develop safe highway systems and retired as vice president in 1991, died Aug. 25 at an assisted living center in Albuquerque. The cause was cardiovascular disease, said a daughter, Christine Robinson.

Mr. Robinson was born in Long Beach, Calif., settled in Bethesda, Md., in 1953 and moved to New Mexico in 2015. He was a member of what became River Road Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Bethesda and the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine. He was a life member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers.

Harvey Averch,
NSF official

Harvey Averch, 81, an economist, National Science Foundation official and college professor who helped develop a theory widely used in economics, died Aug. 13 at a hospice in Harwood, Md. The cause was brain cancer, said his wife, Barbara Averch.

Dr. Averch, an Annapolis resident, was born in Denver. He was a senior economist with the Rand Corp. think tank in Santa Monica, Calif., for 10 years before coming to Washington and joining the NSF, where he held a series of senior positions from 1971 to 1989. He was a professor of public administration at Florida International University from 1989 to 2005 and then returned to the Washington area. He wrote several books on economics and public policy and was a co-developer of the Averch-Johnson effect, a theory concerning the tendency of regulated companies to accumulate capital in order to expand profits. .

John 'Jack' Rabner,

John "Jack" Rabner, 93, an investigator with the Navy Department and later with a private background-check agency, died July 19 at an assisted living center in Rockville, Md. The cause was complications from diabetes, said a daughter, Amanda Lantz.

Mr. Rabner, a resident of Cabin John, Md., was born in Washington. He spent 30 years with the Naval Investigative Service before retiring around 1980. He then did background checks for MSM investigations for 15 years.

Terry Michael,
journalist, teacher

Terry Michael, 70, a journalist, political press spokesman, and a co-founder and executive director of the Washington Center for Politics and Journalism, died Aug. 7 at a hospital in Washington. The cause was complications from pneumonia and a stroke, said Chris Crain, a family friend.

Mr. Michael, who lived in Washington, was born in Mount Vernon, Ill., and began his journalism career at the local newspaper. He came to Washington 40 years ago and was a press secretary for the Democratic National Committee, for Rep. Robert Matsui (D-Calif.) and the 1988 presidential campaign of Rep. Paul Simon (D-Ill.). In 1989, he helped start the politics and journalism center, which for 26 years sponsored "The Politics and Journalism Semester" at George Washington University.

He taught a journalism course at GWU, lectured on media and politics, and oversaw seminars in which about a dozen students met with leading figures in politics and the media. He wrote and delivered essays and opinion pieces in the print and broadcast media. The center ceased operations when he retired in 2015.

Barbara Turlington,
education council official

Barbara Turlington, 85, who helped start Hampshire College in Massachusetts and later served as the American Council on Education's director of international education from 1984 to 2008, died Sept. 3 at her home in Chevy Chase, Md. The cause was small cell cancer, said a niece, Jan O'Neill.

Ms. Turlington, a native Washingtonian, taught political science at Mount Holyoke College, the women's college in South Hadley, Mass., and was on the committee that helped start Hampshire College, a private liberal arts school in Amherst, Mass., that opened to students in 1970.

She was an associate dean of the new school until 1976, when she returned to the District as executive assistant to the president of the Association of American Universities. Her memberships included the River Road Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Bethesda, Md., and she was a past president of the Brighton Gardens assisted living center's residents council in Chevy Chase.

Iqbal Noor Ali,
Aga Khan Foundation CEO

Iqbal Noor Ali, 68, who spent more than 30 years at the Aga Khan Foundation, a nonprofit charitable organization, and became chief executive before stepping down in 2009, died Aug. 26 at his home in McLean, Va. The cause was liver failure, said his daughter, Sehreen Noor Ali.

Mr. Noor Ali was born in Karachi, Pakistan, and settled in the Washington area in 1984 to work for the foundation. After leaving as chief executive, he remained a senior adviser. He served on the board of the Council on Foundations and the U.S. Agency for International Development's Advisory Committee on Voluntary Foreign Aid.

Paul Chretien,
NIH cancer researcher

Paul Chretien, 86, a researcher who specialized in head and neck cancer and retired in 1980 from the National Cancer Institute, died Aug. 16 at his home in Rockville, Md. The cause was cerebral vascular disease, said his wife, Jane Chretien.

Dr. Chretien was born in San Angelo, Tex., and settled in the Washington area in 1966 when he joined NCI as a senior investigator. From 1972 to 1980, he was chief of the tumor immunology section in the surgery branch. He contributed to more than 200 scientific articles and book chapters, his family said. After leaving NCI, he was a professor and chairman of research at the University of Maryland medical school's surgery department. He was a captain in the Army Reserve from 1959 to 1969.

Linda Cordray Calomaris,
jazz singer

Linda Cordray Calomaris, 77, who spent years singing with the house band at the Washington jazz club Blues Alley and performed with pianists such as Reuben Brown and John Eaton until retiring in 1998, died Aug. 26 at a hospice center in Washington. The cause was uterine cancer, said a daughter, Kelly Posey.

Mrs. Calomaris was born Linda Cordray, which she used as her stage name, in Independence Mo. Her professional career began in 1958, when she performed with the big band led by clarinetist-singer Woody Herman; her then-husband played trumpet in the group. "Woody had laryngitis and he had a big concert to do," she told The Washington Post in 1986. "He called up to our room to get me to sing. I was terrified, of course, and I walked out on stage and did begin 'Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe,' to a big band arrangement without ever rehearsing it, and a couple of tunes with just a trio. When I walked offstage Woody said, 'You're hired!' "

Faith Daiak,
Washington Post employee

Faith Daiak, 88, who worked in The Washington Post's classified advertising department from 1968 to 1992, becoming a supervisor of training in classified advertisements, died Aug. 22 at a nursing center in Silver Spring, Md. The cause was metabolic encephalopathy, said a son, J.J. Daiak.

Ms. Daiak was born Faith Chalmers in New York City and worked as a secretary in the late 1940s for U.S. forces in occupied Japan. At The Post, she helped in the newspaper's transition to computer technology.

Robert Walton,
software company executive

Robert Walton, 52, a lawyer who had been senior vice president and general counsel at Deltek, a software company based in Northern Virginia, died Sept. 7 at a hospital in Washington. The cause was cancer, said a sister-in-law, Victoria Barrow.

Mr. Walton, a District resident, was born in Palo Alto, Calif., and moved to the Washington area in 1992. He was a lawyer at Wilmer, Cutler & Pickering and other firms and companies before joining Deltek in 2011. He served on the board of the Woolly Mammoth Theatre Company.

Vivian George,
budget analyst

Vivian George, 94, who worked for the U.S. Postal Service from 1979 to 1985 and became a budget analyst there, died Aug. 10 at a hospital in Rockville, Md. The cause was a stroke, said a daughter, Kathryn George.

Mrs. George, a resident of Gaithersburg Md., was born Vivian Brog in Rutherford, N.J., and moved to the Washington area in 1972. Before joining the Postal Service, she was a secretary at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. She was a Washington-area chapter librarian of the Daughters of the American Revolution.

James Murphy,
law firm partner

James Murphy, 73, a Washington lawyer who became a partner at the firm of Leftwich, Moore & Douglas and long specialized in real estate law, died Aug. 25 at a hospital in Philadelphia. The cause was congestive heart failure, said his wife, Florence Wood.

Mr. Murphy, a native of Harrisburg, Pa., worked from 1974 to 1987 at the Washington office of the corporation counsel, where he spent many years in the housing and community development division, advising on property transactions and executing financial documents regarding bond issues, The Washington Post reported. He briefly served as acting corporation counsel before joining what is now Leftwich LLC. He worked in solo practice until retiring in 2016 and moved to Philadelphia from the District.

Edward McKeon,
Foreign Service officer

Edward McKeon, 66, a Foreign Service officer from 1975 to 2011 who served as counsel general in Guangzhou, China, Tel Aviv and Tokyo and finally as minister-counsellor for consular affairs in Mexico City, died Sept. 3 at his home in Chevy Chase, Md. The cause was pancreatic cancer, said his ex-wife, Robin Ritterhoff.

Mr. McKeon was born in New Brunswick, N.J., and received government awards for exceptional service. In retirement, he was a volunteer counselor at the DC Center for the LGBT Community.

— From staff reports