Obituaries of residents from the District, Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Earl Klitenic, VOA official, consultant

Earl Klitenic, 71, a director at Voice of America from 1983 to 2000 who later did political and management consulting, died Sept. 12 at his home in Bethesda. The cause was a heart attack, said a son, Jason Klitenic.

Mr. Klitenic, a Baltimore native, was a director of labor and employee relations at the U.S Information Agency in the late 1970s. He joined Voice of America in 1982 and served in executive roles, including acting director of Voice of America in Europe, before retiring as the director of business development in 2000. He then assisted the director of broadcasting at the Broadcasting Board of Governors and consulted for the Alaskan firm Chugach Alaska Corp. and the State Department. He was a member of the American Foreign Service Association, DACOR (Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired), and the Cosmos Club.

Vija Karklins, Smithsonian library official

Vija Karklins, 85, a member of the Senior Executive Service who worked at the Smithsonian Institution Libraries from 1965 until retiring as deputy director in 1994, died Sept. 10 at her home in Potomac, Md. The cause was cancer, said a daughter, Ieva O’Rourke.

Mrs. Karklins was born Vija Lejnieks in Riga, Latvia. She and her family spent time in Germany during World War II and afterward in displaced persons camps before emigrating to the United States in 1950. She lived in New York and Minneapolis before settling in the Washington area in 1963 to work at the National Institutes of Health Library.

Roland H. Cunningham, conservator

Roland H. Cunningham, 75, a conservator and restorer of paintings and artistic objects whose career spanned 50 years, died Aug. 16 at a care center in Rockville. The cause was cancer, said his wife, Susan Cunningham.

Mr. Cunningham, who lived in Silver Spring, Md., was born in Jersey City, N.J. He retired in 2010 as senior paint conservator at the Smithsonian Institution’s Center for Conservation and Materials Museum Support Center in Suitland, Md., where he had worked for 30 years. Earlier he had worked in New York and Hartford, Conn. In the course of his career, he had restored paintings and art objects in Egypt, Italy, France, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Robert J. Stanford, lawyer

Robert J. Stanford, 85, a Washington trial lawyer who specialized in medical malpractice and other claims lawsuits, died Sept. 2 at a hospital in the District. The cause was complications following surgery for a perforated colon, said a stepson, Paul Keenan.

Mr. Stanford, a resident of Bethesda, Md., was born in the Bronx, N.Y., and settled in the Washington area as a youth. He practiced law here from 1955 until 2013 as a named partner in several firms and as a solo practitioner. In 1968 and 1969, he was president of the Trial Lawyers Association of D.C., which in 1979 named him plaintiff’s lawyer of the year. He was a member of Holy Trinity Catholic Church in Georgetown.

Sarah E. ‘Sally’ Kelley, White House official

Sarah E. “Sally” Kelley, 84, the White House director of agency liaison from 1981 to 1993, died Aug. 4 a hospital in Washington. She had colon cancer, said her sister, Kathleen Kelley.

Ms. Kelley was born in Jamaica Plain, Mass., and grew up in Wellesley Hills, Mass. She moved to the Washington area in 1950. Early in her career, she worked on Capitol Hill as a secretary for Sen. William Knowland (R-Calif.), Sen. Kenneth Keating (R-N.Y.), Rep. H. Allen Smith (R-Calif.) and Rep. Carlos J. Moorhead (R-Calif.). She was a lector and fundraising campaign chair of St. Stephen Martyr Catholic Church in Washington and volunteered at the American Red Cross and the Republican National Committee.

Ernest R. Myers, professor, psychologist

Ernest R. Myers, 80, psychologist and professor emeritus of sociology and counseling at what is now the University of the District of Columbia, died Sept. 10 at a nursing home in Washington. He had cancer, said a brother, Donald Myers.

Dr. Myers was born in Middletown, Ohio, and moved to the Washington area in 1958. He began teaching at Federal City College in 1969 and became chairman of the department of human resource development. He wrote four books, including “Challenges of a Changing America” (1993), and was an executive board member of the District of Columbia Mental Health Counselors Association.

Martin ‘John’ Rogers, NIH program officer

Martin “John” Rogers, 54, program officer with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 2001, was found dead Sept. 4 after an apparent car accident in Allegany County in western Maryland.

Dr. Rogers had been reported as missing for two weeks, said his wife, Kelley Rogers. A spokesman for the Maryland Medical Examiner’s Office said determination of the cause of death is pending further tests.

Dr. Rogers was born in Antananarivo, Madagascar, where his parents were Anglican missionaries, and he was raised in Weymouth, England. He moved to the United States in 1985 and settled in Darnestown, Md., in 2001. Early in his career, he was a biochemist with the DuPont-Merck Pharmaceuticals Co. in Wilmington, Del. At the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, he worked within the division of microbiology and infectious diseases and specialized in tropical diseases. He sang in the Harmony Express Men’s Chorus in Germantown, Md., and was a member of Fairhaven United Methodist Church in Gaithersburg, Md.