Obituaries of residents from the District, Maryland and Northern Virginia.

Jacquelyn R. Hoke, civic activist

Jacquelyn R. Hoke, 93, who with her husband, Julius U. Hoke, helped initiate a lawsuit that led to a 1964 U.S. Supreme Court decision requiring the realignment of Maryland legislative districts in accordance with population, died Dec. 4 at a hospital in Columbia, Md. The cause was congestive heart failure, said a daughter, Mary Ellen Moir.

Mrs. Hoke was born Mary Jacquelyn Rusen in Moundsville, W.Va., and moved to the Washington area in the mid-1940s. With her husband, who died in 2006, she was active in the Montgomery County Civic Federation and the Metropolitan Area Council of Civic Federations. She lobbied the Maryland General Assembly for fair housing standards and for legislation related to safety and health.

Mrs. Hoke had been a campaign manager for Idamae Garrott (D), who served on the Montgomery County Council and in the Maryland House of Delegates and state Senate. In 1988, Mrs. Hoke moved to Howard County and, at her death, was residing in Clarksville, Md.

Bess Paterson Shipe, author

Bess Paterson Shipe, 96, who wrote books for children and young adults, including “Country School Boy,” set in a one-room school house in Seneca, Md., died Nov. 13 at the home of a daughter in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. The cause was congestive heart failure, said a son-in-law, Gregory Ten Eyck.

Mrs. Shipe, a resident of Potomac, Md., was born Bess Paterson in Baltimore and settled in the Washington area in the 1940s. With her sister, Ruth Paterson Chappell, she wrote “The Mysterious Tale of a Charleston Cat,” set in Charleston, S.C. Mrs. Shipe recently completed a third book, “The Forces of Bay House,” a novel set on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. She was a member of Potomac United Methodist Church.

Bernie C. Cox, amusement entrepreneur

Bernie C. Cox, 89, an amusement entrepreneur who photographed children riding ponies and rented out children’s party-game equipment such as moon bounces, died Nov. 24 at a hospital in St. Augustine, Fla. The cause was cardiac arrest, said a daughter, Michelle Cox.

Mr. Cox was born in Danville, Va., and settled in the Washington area after World War II. He started his business with the purchase of a pony, which he walked through city and suburban neighborhoods, offering children a chance to ride. When they did ride, he took their pictures, which he sold to parents.

Later his business expanded into Bernie Amusements, from which he retired in the early 2000s. He lived in Fairfax County and was at a winter home in Florida when he died.

Harvey J. Finberg, data systems manager

Harvey J. Finberg, 77, a data systems manager for the Government Accountability Office who retired early in 2006, died Nov. 4 at a hospital in Falls Church, Va. The cause was lung cancer, said his wife, Vera Finberg.

Dr. Finberg, a resident of Fairfax County, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., and came to the Washington area in 1968. He began his GAO career in 1974 as a defense analyst. He was a soccer referee for the Braddock Road Youth Club and for high schools in Northern Virginia.

John B. Shlaes, career coach

John B. Shlaes, 73, a former government and private-sector public affairs and communications officer who for the last 15 years of his career was a career coach, died Nov. 26 at a hospice center in Rockville. The cause was cancer, said his wife, Kay Shlaes.

Mr. Shlaes, a resident of Bethesda, Md., was born in Los Angeles and settled in the Washington area after working in New York for the winning 1968 presidential campaign of Richard M. Nixon. Mr. Shlaes held jobs with the U.S. Information Agency, the Peace Corps and the Office of Emergency Preparedness.

From 1979 to 1992, he was director of public affairs for Edison Electric Institute, an association of investor-owned electric companies. He then spent five years as executive director of the Global Climate Coalition, an organization that opposed government efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. He was a career coach from 1997 to 2013, mentoring executives who were preparing for second careers.

Judy E. Hall, psychologist, credentials officer

Judy E. Hall, 75, the former executive officer of the National Register of Health Service Psychologists, a professional credentialing organization, died Nov. 24 at a nursing center in Rockville, Md. The cause was pancreatic cancer, said Andrew Boucher, a friend and colleague.

Dr. Hall was born in Oklahoma City and came to the Washington area in 1990 from New York, where she had been executive secretary of the state board for psychology. She retired in 2013 after 23 years with the National Register of Health Service Psychologists. From 1996 to 2003, she was also president of HSP Verified Inc., a credentials-verification organization.

Timothy J. Patterson, pediatrician

Timothy J. Patterson, 61, who had been a pediatrician in Montgomery County, Md., since 1986, died Nov. 26 at a hospital in Silver Spring, Md. The cause was a heart attack, said a daughter, Leah Patterson.

Dr. Patterson, of Olney, Md., was born in Milwaukee. He was clinical director at Fort Belknap Hospital in Harlem, Mont., in the early 1980s and completed a pediatric residency in Columbus, Ohio, before moving to the Washington area in 1986.

Jean Goertner, physicist, canoeist

Jean Goertner, 87, a research physicist for nearly 40 years at the Naval Ordnance Laboratory in White Oak, Md., later called the Naval Surface Warfare Center, died at her home in Wheaton, Md., on Nov. 4. The cause was cancer, said a daughter, Jo Ann Goertner.

Ms. Goertner was born Jean Abbott in Norristown, Pa. From the early 1950s until her retirement in 1996, she mainly researched underwater explosives. Beginning in the 1970s, she competed in and helped organize whitewater canoe races, and she later judged world-championship whitewater and slalom events. An avocational archaeologist, she volunteered with the Parks Department of Montgomery County, Md., and was vice president of a local chapter of the Archaeological Society of Maryland.

Nathaniel F. Magruder, dry cleaner

Nathaniel F. Magruder, 74, who had owned Edna’s Cleaners, a dry cleaner in Rockville, Md., since 1996, died Nov. 27 at his home in Gaithersburg, Md. The cause was a pulmonary embolism, said his wife, Patricia Magruder.

Mr. Magruder was born in Spencerville, Md., and served in the Army during the Vietnam War. He had worked at Edna’s since 1973.

Thomas ‘Jerry‘ Carter Jr., nuclear regulator

Thomas “Jerry” Carter Jr., 80, a nuclear engineer who worked at what is now the Nuclear Regulatory Commission from 1969 until his retirement in 2000, died Nov. 14 at a hospital in Bethesda. The cause was cancer, said a daughter, Jennifer Carter.

Mr. Carter, a resident of Rockville, Md., was born in American Samoa, where his father, a Navy doctor, was stationed. From 1958 to 1969, he was an engineer with Los Angeles-based Atomics International, a division of the aerospace manufacturer North American Aviation. He played golf and volunteered at Rockville United Methodist Church and, later, at Grace United Methodist Church in Gaithersburg, Md.

Ronald S. Boster, economist, House aide

Ronald S. Boster, 71, an economist who simultaneously served as chief of staff to Rep. Willis D. Gradison Jr. (R-Ohio) and as Republican staff director to the House Budget Committee from 1983 to 1993, died Nov. 3 at a hospital in Baltimore. The cause was complications from pneumonia and sepsis, said his wife, M.J. Boster.

Dr. Boster, a resident of Arlington, Va., was born in Akron, Ohio. He began his career as an economist with the Agriculture Department and then worked as a policy analyst with the Interior Department. From 1977 to 1981, he was deputy Republican staff director and senior staff economist to the House Budget Committee. He served as administrative assistant to Rep. Ralph Regula (R-Ohio) before joining Gradison’s office in 1983.

Dr. Boster was briefly chief of staff to Rep. Rick Lazio (R-N.Y.) before leaving Capitol Hill in 1994 to work as a consultant to the nonpartisan National Academy of Public Administration and then as a vice president at the nonpartisan Committee for Economic Development. From 2002 until his retirement in 2010, he was a special adviser to the newly created Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, a nonprofit corporation established by Congress to oversee the audits of public companies.

Bernard T. Levin, lawyer, dinner-theater owner

Bernard T. Levin, 87, a lawyer who co-owned the Burn Brae Dinner Theatre in Burtonsville, Md., from 1968 to 1986, died Nov. 23 at a hospital in Columbia, Md. The cause was pulmonary fibrosis, said a daughter, Pamela Cameron.

Mr. Levin, a Columbia resident, was born in York, Pa. He ran his own law firm, in Washington, from 1956 to 1968. From 1989 until his retirement in spring 2015, he worked at the firm of Joel L. Katz in Annapolis. Burn Brae, which at its height produced musicals for dinner theaters as far away as Dallas, closed in 2000.

Douglas R. Nolan, radiologist

Douglas R. Nolan, 56, a retired Navy petty officer first class who worked as a radiologist at Inova Fairfax Hospital in Northern Virginia from 2003 until shortly before his death, died Nov. 25 at a hospital in Alexandria, Va. The cause was leukemia, said a brother, John Nolan.

Mr. Nolan, an Alexandria resident, was born at Fort Belvoir, Va. He served two stints on active duty with the Navy, from 1979 to 1985 and from 1988 to 1992. From 1992 to 2003, he worked as a warehouseman at Intelligent Decisions, an IT contractor for the federal government, and for most of that time, he served in the Army National Guard. He volunteered at Immanuel Church-on-the-Hill, an Episcopal church in Alexandria, and also attended St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church in Falls Church, Va.

Lawrence E. Carr Jr., lawyer

Lawrence E. Carr Jr., 92, a Washington lawyer who specialized in insurance cases, died Nov. 21 at an assisted-living center in Alexandria, Va., where he had resided for about the last five years. He had dementia and hypertensive disorder, said a daughter, Eileen Riley.

Mr. Carr was born in Colorado Springs, Colo., and settled in the Washington area in 1949. He practiced law for almost 60 years, retiring in 2009 as senior partner of the firm of Carr Maloney. Earlier, he had been a partner in Carr Goodson and in several other Washington law firms. He was a former president of the D.C. Bar Association.

He moved to Alexandria from Stevensville on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.

Jim Burke, economist

Jim Burke, 75, an economist who retired in 2002 from the Federal Reserve System, died Oct. 25 at a hospice in Fort Myers, Fla. The cause was Alzheimer’s disease, said his wife, Stephanie Lowell.

Dr. Burke was born in Northbridge, Mass. He moved to the Washington area in 1969 and was a faculty member at the University of Maryland for three years before joining the Federal Reserve, where he worked in the antitrust division. On retiring, he moved from to Florida from Alexandria, Va.

Thomas W. Miller Jr., CIA officer

Thomas W. Miller Jr., 93, a Russian-language specialist with the CIA from 1953 to 1976, died Nov. 20 at his home in Arlington, Va. The cause was cancer, said a daughter, Daphne Miller.

Mr. Miller was born in New Orleans and settled in the Washington area in 1953 after 12 years in the Marine Corps.

During that time, he survived the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941 and the battle of Iwo Jima in 1945, and he pursued Russian-language studies at the Army language school in Monterey, Calif., and at Stanford University.

Robbie P. Yon, drug and alcohol counselor

Robbie P. Yon, 85, a drug and alcohol counselor who from late 1980s to the late 1990s worked at Providence Hospital in Washington, died Nov. 22 at a rehabilitation center in Crofton, Md. The cause was complications from hypertension, said a son, Jim Yon.

Mrs. Yon, a resident of Bowie, Md., was born Robbie Jones in Lula, Ga., and had lived in the Washington area since 1960. She was a volunteer with a crisis hotline.

Mary Patricia Slye, businesswoman

Mary Patricia Slye, 65, an Arlington, Va., businesswoman who helped manage a family business, Robert Slye Electronics, died Nov. 23 at a hospital in Arlington. The cause was a heart attack, said a niece, Katherine Slye-Griffin.

Ms. Slye, an Arlington resident, was born in Washington. In the mid-1980s, she began working at Robert Slye Electronics, which specializes in the design and installation of audiovisual systems.

Conor Bouveron, student

Conor Bouveron, 19, a first-year student at Colorado State University who was a former All-Met place kicker on the Westfield High School football team in Chantilly, Va., died Nov. 24 at the university in Fort Collins, Colo. The cause was complications from a previously undiagnosed enlarged heart, said his mother, Marty Bouveron.

Mr. Bouveron, a resident of Centreville, Va., was born in Bethesda, Md. He was an Eagle Scout. Since early childhood, he had played on several club and school sports teams. He was a varsity football and lacrosse player at Westfield and had also played soccer.

Ophelia R. Harrison, teacher

Ophelia R. Harrison, 82, who taught for 30 years at Thomas Elementary School in Washington before retiring in the early 1990s, died Nov. 20 at a hospital in Manassas, Va. The cause was heart disease, said a son, Vincent Harrison.

Mrs. Harrison was born Ophelia Richardson in Charleston, S.C., and moved to Washington in 1961. In retirement, she moved to Atlanta and later to Richmond. For about the past five years, she had lived in Manassas Park, Va.

— From staff reports