The man could not save his dog Friday in Prince George’s County, but he tried, authorities said.

Fire broke out about 11:45 a.m. at a house in the 5600 block of Delaware Drive in the Oxon Hill area, said Mark Brady, a spokesman for the county’s Fire/EMS Department.

The man was apparently upstairs when smoke was detected, Brady said.

He got out of the house but then discovered that the fire was in the basement, where his dog normally stayed, Brady said.

He went back into the house, penetrating “as far as he could,” Brady said.

Fire officials advise against such action, Brady said, but it is not an easy message to get across.

The man was finally driven back, unable to find the dog, Brady said.

The dog, which was killed, was discovered in the basement after the blaze was extinguished, Brady said. He said the fire was an accident, apparently caused by an overloaded extension cord. The loss was estimated at $40,000. The man, who was not named, was taken to a hospital in what was said to be fair condition.