A District man was ordered held in the D.C. jail Tuesday after prosecutors said he confessed to stabbing his pregnant girlfriend to death in a Southeast Washington alley.

Several family members of Julissa Washington, 22, rushed out of the courtroom in D.C. Superior Court in tears as Washington’s boyfriend, Stefon Kirkpatrick, 23, was ushered in for his arraignment on charges of second-degree murder.

According to court documents, police were called about 10:20 a.m. Monday to an alley in the 400 block of Brandywine Street SE, where a woman’s body had been discovered. They found the victim covered with a comforter and lying in a pool of blood. The woman’s neck had been cut.

As police were taping off the crime scene, Washington’s mother, who lived near the alley, rushed to the scene and told police that her daughter had been missing. One of the officers allowed the woman to view the body, which she “immediately” identified as her daughter, according to court documents. While the officer was consoling the woman, Washington’s mother identified Kirkpatrick, who was standing nearby in a crowd of onlookers. She yelled, “That’s him.”

According to the charging documents, Kirkpatrick approached the officer with his hands raised and said, “I want to turn myself in. I did it. No more suffering, no more pain. All I want is one to the head.”

After his arrest, authorities said Kirkpatrick could not be interviewed by detectives because he was “extremely violent and irate.” He was later transferred to a hospital after threatening suicide, authorities said.

One witness described seeing Washington and Kirkpatrick together near Fourth and Brandywine streets about two hours before her body was found, according to court documents.

During his arraignment, Kirkpatrick’s attorney, public defender Arthur Ago, argued that no weapon was found on his client, there was no blood on his clothes and there were no witnesses to the slaying. Ago also said he had concerns about his client’s “mental issues.” He said it was unclear what the “it” was that Kirkpatrick was referring to when he said, “I did it.”

Assistant U.S. Attorney Adrienne Dedijnou argued that the “it” was the slaying of Washington — and that Kirkpatrick should remain in D.C. jail because he made a confession and had no verifiable home address or job, rendering him a flight risk.

Magistrate Judge Lori Parker agreed and ordered Kirkpatrick to remain in jail until his next hearing Aug. 30.