Two students at Annapolis High School in Maryland were stabbed or cut during a fight Wednesday morning, and police said seven other students were arrested in connection with the brawl, which forced the school into lockdown.

Police said the injuries were not believed to be life-threatening. A fire department spokesman said one patient with a serious hand injury was taken by ambulance about 30 miles to a hospital in Baltimore, where doctors specialize in treating hands. The other person was taken to a local hospital.

George Arlotto, the superintendent of Anne Arundel County Public Schools, told reporters that investigators believe the fight originated with a community dispute about a week ago “and that this may have been some form of retaliation.”

Arlotto said the incident, which required students to be confined in classrooms for nearly 90 minutes, was “incredibly unfortunate and unacceptable in our schools,” particularly so soon after students returned to in-person learning after 18 months of coronavirus lockdowns.

The names of the students who were injured and those who were arrested were not divulged because they are juveniles. Police said all are students at Annapolis High School, and more people could face charges as the investigation develops. Police said some could later be charged as adults.

Lt. Jacklyn Davis, a spokeswoman for Anne Arundel County police, said two school resource officers were walking the hallways when one saw the fight about 8:45 a.m. at the top of a stairwell.

Davis said a teacher came out of a classroom and yelled: “He has a knife! He has a knife!” Davis said that the officer demanded that the armed student drop the knife and that the student complied. She said that student was arrested and others were identified with the help of video from surveillance cameras and interviews.

During the investigation, police and school officials ordered the school into lockdown, keeping students in classrooms and barring anyone from entering or exiting the building, located near Maryland’s capital. Parents were told the school was safe and advised not to come there. The lockdown was lifted at 10:10 a.m.

Arlotto told reporters that he is not aware of previous fights at the school. Although located outside Annapolis, it serves mostly students who live in the capital. He said school officials are in touch with Annapolis police to investigate the origins of the dispute. Arlotto also said he is not yet sure how the knife got into the building. Students enter through one door but do not pass through metal detectors.