A 67-year-old inmate, who was being held on a $25 bond for a misdemeanor credit card fraud offense, died at a hospital Wednesday after being found unresponsive in his cell, D.C. corrections officials said.

Corrections officers found the man alone inside a cell at the central detention facility, in Southeast Washington, about 2:57 p.m., officials said. Staff called 911 and began CPR, which was continued by D.C. Fire and EMS medics, corrections officials said.

In a statement, jail officials identified the inmate as Joseph Haynie.

“The details of Mr. Haynie’s death are still under investigation. His next of kin have been notified by the D.C. Department of Corrections’ Chaplain. Our condolences are with the family of Mr. Haynie during this difficult time,” D.C. Department of Corrections Director Quincy Booth said in the statement.

Fire and EMS responded to the jail for the report of a person in cardiac arrest just after 3 p.m., said Vito Maggiolo, a fire department spokesman.

Medics took the man to George Washington University Medical Center, where he was later pronounced dead, corrections officials said.

According to preliminary reports from jail officials, corrections officers saw Haynie alive and well during rounds at 2:27 p.m. Haynie was assigned to a double cell, but the second inmate was moved about 11 a.m. Wednesday, officials said.

There were no immediate signs of foul play, jail officials said.

D.C. police homicide detectives were called to the hospital to investigate about 5:20 p.m., said Officer Hugh Carew, a police spokesman. D.C. police investigate all unattended deaths in the city.

Haynie was being held as he faced a misdemeanor credit card fraud charge, according to online court records. According to charging documents, police arrested Haynie after a woman reported that her debit card was stolen from a locker at the Louis Apartments, in the 1900 block of 14th Street NW, on Oct. 12.

Court records show that Haynie was released from custody, with conditions, on Oct. 21. The release conditions were not entered into the online court files and were unavailable for review.

The court records list a “Notice of Non Compliance” that was filed on Nov. 12. That filing was not available in the online court record.

Haynie was remanded to custody on Nov. 20 on a $25 bond, according to a court filing.

The attorney listed in court records did not immediately return a call or email Wednesday night.

Haynie had no address listed in court records. His family could not be immediately located Wednesday night.