A man apparently suffering mental health issues has been charged by D.C. police with killing his 67-year-old mother in July inside her Southeast Washington apartment, authorities said Friday.

Hazel Evans, who lived in the Benning neighborhood, died of asphyxiation caused by neck compressions, police said in court documents that summarize the medical examiner’s finding.

Her death on July 16 was ruled a homicide. Police said she was pronounced dead in her apartment on the first block of 35th Street SE.

Police arrested Evans’s son, identified as Seth Andrews, 33, on Thursday night after authorities responded to extinguish a small fire in Northeast Washington.

Court documents state Andrews was at the scene of the fire and punched a firefighter in the neck and broke a window of a firetruck. Police responded and said Andrews was standing in the road holding a firework in one hand and a piece of wood in the other. After getting him handcuffed, police said, he kicked the door to a police van, slamming it onto an officer’s hand.

Authorities said they then learned Andrews was wanted on an outstanding arrest warrant on a charge of first-degree murder. He also was charged with assault on a police officer. Police said Andrews does not have a fixed address. Relatives could not be reached.

A D.C. Superior Court judge on Friday ordered Andrews detained and set a hearing for Sept. 14. His attorney with the D.C. Public Defender Service did not immediately respond to a request for an interview.

An arrest affidavit filed in D.C. Superior Court said Andrews called 911 about 6:30 a.m. to report finding his mother unconscious on her bedroom floor. Police said the 911 operator walked him through performing chest compressions.

A recording from that call, part of which was transcribed in the court affidavit, quotes Andrews saying, “Come on breathe mommy, breathe mommy, breathe mommy, breathe mommy, come on please mommy?” Police said he is then heard over the phone to the 911 operator saying, “I’m so sorry. I didn’t want to kill you, mommy.”

Police said Andrews told them he had been at his mother’s apartment, left for the store and returned to find her unconscious on the bedroom floor.

Relatives and acquaintances told police Andrews has a history of erratic and self-destructive behavior and that before his mother’s death he had not slept for several days. They told police Andrews was evaluated at a psychiatric hospital after his mother’s death.

A person familiar with Andrews told police the defendant said at one point, “He wanted the decedent to see God.” That person, who is not identified in the arrest affidavit, also told police Andrews had been talking about the world being over.