D.C. police close Connecticut Avenue near Farragut North after responding to a domestic incident Tuesday. (Hannah Natanson/The Washington Post)

Police briefly descended on a key intersection in downtown Washington on Tuesday, shutting streets and locking down an office building under construction after a report that a man had run inside with a gun.

Officers quickly found the man, a police spokesman said, but he did not have a firearm. Police searched the building at 17th and L streets NW for about two hours, but found no weapon, the spokesman said.

Police reopened streets and the building about 1 p.m. and were questioning the man and the person who had called 911 during what the spokesman described as a domestic-related incident. It started about 11 a.m. outside a CVS store on Connecticut Avenue between K and L streets in Northwest.

Details of the domestic dispute were not immediately described. No criminal charges had been filed as of early Tuesday afternoon.

The building the man ran into is being built by Clark Construction. The company said in a statement there are no tenants, but construction workers left the 12-story building as police conducted their search.

The company said the person taken into custody is not a member of the construction crew, and that “all craftworkers and Clark personnel are account for and safe.”

The two-hour shutdown and lockdown of the normally bustling interchange and surrounding streets snarled midday traffic and prompted people to be both annoyed and scared.

As the incident unfolded, authorities sought to quell concerns of people who worked in the area or were walking or driving nearby.

“There is no active shooter,” D.C. police tweeted about an hour into the search.

Don Kroll, who helps run electronic maintenance systems for ABC News, could not reach his office. The 67-year-old was trying to report for his noon shift but was instead left stranded in the rain, outside the police cordon.

“I have things to do at the office,” Kroll said, clutching a black umbrella to protect against the drizzle. “I just feel helpless.”

Across the street, dozens of construction workers stood in a small park, their day also brought to a grinding halt. They had been working on a building midway down the block, its exterior obscured by scaffolding.

Around 10 minutes later, police reopened the street. People in business dress lined up alongside the men in white helmets and yellow vests. Everyone filed slowly back in around 1 p.m.