A 57-year-old D.C. man was drinking, speeding and driving on the wrong side of the road before crashing into a downtown Washington park in July, killing two men who were sitting on a bench, according to court papers.

Details of the cause of the deadly July 10 incident came as U.S. Park Police said they had charged Jeoffrey Richard Williams of Southeast with two counts of second-degree murder.

Thomas Dwight Spriggs, 42, and Jesus Antonio Llanes-Datil, 63, were killed in the crash, which occurred around 11:30 p.m. The men had been sitting on a bench in James Monroe Park, a few blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop at Pennsylvania Avenue and 21st Street NW.


Neither Spriggs nor Llanes-Datil had a fixed address, according to authorities.

According to an arrest warrant filed in D.C. Superior Court, Williams was driving from 63 to 68 miles per hour in a 25 mph zone before the crash. Surveillance video showed a GMC Yukon he was driving “speeding down the wrong side of the roadway, careening off the roadway into the park area,” the document states.


The vehicle went up onto the sidewalk and hit a concrete curb before it “went airborne for several feet,” the document states. In the park it struck trees and benches, including one where the men were sitting. The SUV stopped next to a tree.

Data from a crash recorder in the vehicle found it was traveling at 68 mph “with no evidence of braking” just one second before the crash.


Spriggs and Llanes-Datil died at the scene. Williams was taken to a hospital.

Detectives interviewed Williams about an hour after the crash at the hospital and “could smell a faint odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from Williams,” according to the court document.

According to the warrant, Williams told detectives he had left his home around 7 p.m., stopped at a liquor store near Marlboro Pike and Southern Avenue SE and bought a Red Bull energy drink and a bottle of Jose Cuervo tequila. He said he then went to a friend’s house and had two cocktails.


With a third cocktail in a hand, Williams told detectives, he got back into the vehicle and drove toward downtown Washington.


He said he remembered driving near 16th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW and that the “next thing he remembered was a person standing behind his vehicle asking if he was okay.” He told investigators he “must have passed out.”

A toxicology report found his blood alcohol level was 0.10 and 0.12 — above the 0.08 that’s considered to be driving under the influence in the District.

On Friday, a woman who answered a phone number belonging to Williams identified herself as his fiancee. She said “we have no comment at this time” before hanging up the phone.