Authorities say this house fire Wednesday in Lovettsville was caused by an electrical failure involving an extension cord in the garage. (Loudoun County Fire and Rescue/Loudoun County Fire and Rescue)

A Loudoun County home caught fire after an electrical problem that is believed to have been caused by an extension cord in the garage.

No one was hurt in the incident.

The fire happened just before 5 a.m. Wednesday at a home in the 12700 block of Downey Mill Road in Lovettsville.

When firefighters arrived, there were heavy flames and smoke coming from the one-story, single-family home. Everyone in the house had gotten out safely before firefighters arrived. The residents later told firefighters that their family pet had first alerted them to the danger and their smoke alarms also went off.

The fire was quickly put out.

The damage to the home is estimated at $480,000.

The American Red Cross is helping the displaced residents.