Handout photo of fatal fire scene Jan. 29 in the 4100 block of Mount Echo Lane in the Greenbriar section of Fairfax County. (Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department/Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department)

A fire that killed a person on the 4100 block of Mount Echo Lane in the Greenbriar section of Fairfax Monday, was determined to be accidental and caused by improperly discarded smoking materials in a bedroom, according to county fire investigators.

The Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department sent out a dispatch for the fire at 10:43 a.m and found flames coming from a bedroom window and an occupant of the house in the front yard who had escaped the blaze, according to fire officials.

The occupant who escaped was taken to a hospital with what fire officials said were non-life-threatening injuries. The fire victim, whose name has not yet been released, was found in a search of the house.

Smoke alarms in the home failed to activate, according to fire officials.