D.C. firefighters battled a fire Friday that broke out in a popular storefront restaurant — Fish in the Hood — in Washington’s Petworth neighborhood.

Fire officials at first reported no one had been injured, but in a later update said one that person was hurt and was treated at the scene and that a firefighter was slightly injured and taken to a hospital.

The fire was reported about 10:55 a.m. in the two-story building in the 3600 block of Georgia Avenue NW, just south of the Georgia Avenue-Petworth Metro station. The fire department said the blaze started in a deep-frying machine and was ruled accidental.

Vito Maggiolo, a fire department spokesman, said the fire spread into the building’s ductwork and into a second-floor apartment. The blaze was under control about 11:30 a.m., and several roads in the area were closed.

Authorities said residents in the second-story apartment may be displaced.

The Washington Post wrote about the venerable restaurant in 2012, noting its survival as high-rise condos and bars were built up around it, leaving Fish in the Hood as a reminder of the once-gritty strip.

At the time, the owner added the word “neighbor” in a contrasting color before the word “hood” on his sign to bridge the gap between old-timers and newcomers.

The extent of damage in Friday’s fire could not immediately be determined.