A 10-year-old girl was killed in Northeast Monday night. Police later released a photograph that they said showed people and a vehicle that they suspected of involvement in the incident. (DC Police photo)

this story has been updated

A 10-year-old girl was killed and four adults were wounded Monday night in an outbreak of gunfire in Northeast Washington, police said.

The girl was identified by police as Makiyah Wilson, of Northeast.

“We have to be outraged,” said Assistant D.C. police chief Chanel Dickerson.

The gunfire erupted about 8 p.m. in the 300 block of 53rd Street NE, said Officer Hugh Carew, a police spokesman.

Police said the girl died at a hospital. A woman and a man who had been wounded were taken to hospitals by the D.C. Fire and EMS Department, police said. Two other men also went to hospitals with gunshot wounds, the police said.

Dickerson said about 15 to 20 people were in a courtyard area on 53rd Street . A playground is nearby, and people “were out enjoying the weather,” she said. Darkness had not yet fallen.

The girl was among those in the courtyard, Dickerson said.

She said a black vehicle drove up, and four black males got out, wearing masks.

A resident of the community said the people who got out “started shooting.” He was asked about the number of shots.

“Couldn’t count them,” he said, adding that there were “too many to count.”

After the gunfire, the resident said, the people who had fired “got in the car and drove off.”

Then, he said, people ran.

It was not clear Monday night whether anyone had been targeted.

Dickerson said that the people who opened fire “did this indiscriminately.” She said that “we have to stand up as a community and say ‘No More.’ “

She urged residents: “You have to work with us to remove illegal firearms from the city.”

Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) went to the scene, and called for community members to phone a police tip line with any information.

“Enough is enough,” she said on her Twitter feed.

Police gave a description of the vehicle that they said was involved in the shooting. In a news conference at the scene Monday night, police said it was a black Infiniti SUV with paper tags.But in a statement issued early Tuesday morning, police described the vehicle only as a black, four-door sedan.

They provided a photograph that they said showed a vehicle and people they suspected of involvement in the incident.

The street where the gunfire occurred has two-story brick dwellings on either side.

It is about two blocks east of Division Avenue, and about the same distance south of Marvin Gaye Park.

It is southwest of H.D. Woodson High School, and south of the Woodson Senior Recreation Center, and is within a mile of Eastern Avenue, which separates the District from Prince George’s County.

During a news conference at the scene, Dickerson, the police official, offered thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.

As acting police chief Monday night, she expressed her sorrow in particular about the death of the child.

“All the hopes and dreams that her family had for her,” Dickerson said, “it’s gone.”