The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Maryland police officer dies after being struck by car

Officer Christine Peters died Thursday from injuries sustained when she was struck by a car 12 days earlier.
Officer Christine Peters died Thursday from injuries sustained when she was struck by a car 12 days earlier. (Greenbelt Police Department)

A Maryland police officer died Thursday from injuries suffered 12 days earlier when she was struck by a car while working a traffic accident scene outside Washington, authorities said.

Officer Christine Peters, 49, leaves behind a husband, two teenage children and heartbroken officers at the Greenbelt Police Department.

“She was a fierce friend, and just wonderful,” said George Mathews, a department spokesman. “Chris was larger than life.”

Mathews cited their time together running sessions of a citizens police academy, designed to give residents a sense of what police work is like in Greenbelt.

Greenbelt police officer struck by vehicle at crash site, authorities say

Peters insisted on making instructions as hands-on as possible, at one point staging a detailed crime scene in the parking lot outside the police station. Citizens were asked to collect evidence, take photographs and process fingerprints. She also brought in a hostage negotiator for demonstrations.

“They loved her down-to-earth personality,” Mathews said of the academy participants.

Peters joined the Greenbelt force in 1998. She held a variety of duties, including working as an evidence technician, and most recently working as a patrol officer. She also volunteered for the Maryland Special Olympics.

The night of Jan. 2, she responded to a radio call about a traffic accident along Edmonston Road. She arrived and found a vehicle that had left the road. The spot was just outside Greenbelt city limits, but Peters stayed to help.

“A call went out and she was nearby and she responded to it,” Mathews said.

While on foot at the scene, Peters was struck by a passing vehicle. That driver stayed at the scene, officials said. The case is being investigated by the U.S. Park Police with assistance from the U.S. attorney’s office in Maryland, according to a Park Police spokeswoman. She declined to provide additional details.

Peters suffered traumatic head injuries and was taken by helicopter to MedStar Washington Hospital Center, officials said. She remained in critical condition until she died.

Tracking D.C.-area homicides