A surveillance video released by D.C. police shows three men stuffing roughly $22,000 worth of stolen clothes into a church van before driving off.
Police say at least two of the men are also likely involved in a series of other robberies this month of cellphone stores, a jewelry shop and a clothing store. They are believed to be connected to at least seven robberies — five in the District and two in Maryland.
The surveillance video shows the robbery unfolding around 5 a.m. on Dec. 5 at the high-end outdoor store Arc'teryx at CityCenter D.C. in downtown Washington.
The side of the van reads, "Young's Memorial Church of Christ the Holiness."
The three men, dressed in black sweatshirts, look around and then appear to go into the outdoor store. Within seconds, they come out with their arms laden with clothes, then shove them into the van before driving it off.
According to a police report, the stolen items include two trench coats worth $950, $3,500 worth of pants and $1,600 in hoodies. In total, they stole an estimated $22,000 in goods and clothes.
The van was reported stolen on Dec. 5 but it has since been recovered, police said.
The church is located on Alabama Avenue in Southeast Washington. A call to the church was not immediately returned.
In most of the other incidents, the robbers would order those inside to the back of the store and then steal items. At times, they said they had a gun or weapon.
Police said these are the other incidents:
●• On Dec. 1, around 9:21 a.m., they stole dozens of cellphones and put them into a trash bag at a store in the 1500 block of Benning Road NE before they fled in a gray pickup truck.
• On Dec. 3, around 11:45 a.m., two robbers stole dozens of cellphones from a store in the 1300 block of Pennsylvania Avenue SE and fled in a white Ford F150 truck.
• On Dec. 3, two robbers stole several pieces of electronics from a cellphone store in the 5400 block of Silver Hill Road in District Heights, Md., and again fled in a white Ford F150 truck.
• On Dec. 11, around 9:25 a.m., two robbers stole cellphones from a store in the 1300 block of F Street NW before they fled. It was not known whether they left on foot or in a vehicle.
• On Dec. 12, two robbers stole cash and dozens of cellphones from a store in the 6200 block of Central Avenue in Seat Pleasant, Md., and fled in a green Nissan Maxima.
• On Dec. 13, around 3:20 a.m., one robber threw a brick through the front window of a jewelry store in the 1300 block of F Street NW and stole items before he fled in a van. It was not immediately clear if he fled in the same white church van.
Anyone with information that leads to an arrest and indictment of those involved is eligible for a reward of up to $1,000, police said. Those with information should call 202-727-9099.