A fire in a Montgomery County house has been linked to a hoverboard, a piece of recreational equipment that has recently aroused widespread safety concerns.

The county fire and rescue service said one of the devices was found in the area where a fire started Nov. 8 an upstairs bedroom of a house in the 7700 block of Mineral Springs Drive in Gaithersburg.

The hoverboard, described sometimes as a motorized skateboard, had been plugged into an electrical outlet to charge, the fire department said.

According to the department, it caught fire, and rolled to a bed, igniting the bedding.

The smoldering fire was extinguished quickly, the fire department said, but it issued advice to be followed while the equipment is more thoroughly investigated.

One recommendation was to buy such an item only if it has been approved by a recognized safety organization.

Another was to be present throughout the charging process.