Firefighters rescued one person Thursday morning from an apartment in Southeast Washington after a fire broke out.
The blaze happened just before 3 a.m. in the 4200 block of 6th Street SE on the second floor of the building. A man was transported to an area hospital with critical injuries, officials said.
He was rescued by ladder from apartment, where the fire started possibly on the stove, officials said.
Fire officials said on Twitter that they "encountered hoarding conditions" in the apartment. Two people were evaluated on the scene, but did not require further medical treatment, officials said.
Nineteen people, including nine adults and 10 children, were displaced as a result of the fire. Firefighter officials said they believe the fire was accidental in nature.
Icy conditions complicated the work for rescuers, officials said.