Gay rights advocate Vin Testa waves a rainbow flag in 2013 in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. (J. Scott Applewhite/AP)

A serial protester whose shouts disrupted the Supreme Court’s historic arguments over same-sex marriage this year was sentenced Thursday to 21 days in jail and ordered to stay out of the courthouse for a year.

Rives Miller Grogan, 50, of Mansfield, Tex., pleaded guilty in September to one misdemeanor charge of unlawful picketing or parading relating to his shouting during the high court’s April 28 session: “If you support gay marriage, then you will burn in hell.” He also called same-sex relationships an “abomination.”

Grogan, wearing a gray sweat shirt printed with the phrase “Pro-Life,” asked U.S. District Judge Randolph D. Moss for probation and said he hoped the court would recognize that his protests against gay marriage and abortion were rooted in his Christian faith.

“Me being a Christian, Jesus said ‘go proclaim it everywhere,’ ” Grogan said, adding that his sentence “is a consequence I’ll have to take.”

Moss acknowledged Grogan’s personal conviction and his past help to homeless people. But, he said, Grogan needed escalating punishment to deter him and others from disrupting the rights of others to petition the government.

“If others do what you attempted to do, it would be impossible for the Supreme Court to function, and it would be unfair to everyone,” Moss said, adding that he hoped Grogan would find “places and opportunities that are consistent with the law” to exercise his speech rights.

Grogan previously was sentenced to 15 days confinement after being arrested several times since 2009 on charges of disorderly conduct and disobeying police in Washington, as well as for protesting inside the U.S. Senate chambers. In 2013, Grogan climbed a 40-foot tree near the Capitol reflecting pool and shouted during President Obama’s inaugural speech.

Sentencing guidelines called for a term of up to one year. Prosecutors requested 30 days.