Youth minister Steven Douglass with others protesting after the fatal D.C. police shooting of Terrence Sterling. (Clarence Williams/ The Washington Post)

Terrence Sterling, the motorcyclist who was killed by a D.C. police officer this month, suffered gunshot wounds in the neck and back, according to the city medical examiner’s office.

A spokeswoman for the D.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner declined to say whether Sterling was shot more than once, or whether the wounds were caused by the entrance and exit of a single bullet. She said his death has been ruled a homicide.

Sterling, 31, of Fort Washington, Md., was shot on the morning of Sept. 11 after police said he intentionally drove his motorcycle into a police cruiser.

City officials have identified the officer who shot Sterling as Brian Trainer, 27, who has been with the department for four years.

Since the shooting, peaceful demonstrations and marches have been held by people demanding additional details from authorities.

On Sept.27, D.C. police released body camera footage showing the aftermath of the Sept. 11 fatal shooting of Terrence Sterling. Here's what they say led up to the shooting, and what happened after. (Claritza Jimenez/The Washington Post)

The incident began about 4:20 a.m. when officers got a call about a motorcycle driving erratically in the Adams Morgan area. Later, police saw the motorcycle near Third and M streets in Northwest.

Police said Trainer was trying to exit the passenger’s side of a marked cruiser to stop Sterling. But at that point, according to police, Sterling drove the motorcycle into the passenger door and Trainer fired his weapon.

The case is being investigated by the U.S. attorney’s office, which investigates homicides in the District of Columbia. A homicide is a death at the hands of another, but is not necessarily a crime.

On Tuesday, city officials released graphic body camera video showing the aftermath of the shooting.

The video, about five minutes, does not show the shooting because Trainer did not activate his body camera until one to three minutes after he shot Sterling, city officials said.

After Sterling’s shooting, police updated the department’s policy on body cameras, and officers now are required to confirm with dispatchers that their cameras are on when they respond to calls.

Mayor Muriel E. Bowser publicly identified Trainer in a departure from police policy. D.C. Police union officials objected to that decision. Trainer and his partner, who was driving the car, have been placed on paid administrative leave.