D.C. police have charged two men in a Thursday afternoon shooting that injured two people outside an apartment complex in the Shaw neighborhood. Police described a destructive scene in a crowded courtyard, with bullets striking vehicles and the windows of homes.

The victims, both men, were recovering at a hospital Friday. One man was shot in the arm, police said. The other was shot in the back and is listed in critical condition. The shooting occurred about 4:50 p.m.

Antoine Woods, 25, of Northeast, and Anthony Tyrone Sparks, 27, of Southeast, were each charged with assault with intent to kill.

Police have not disclosed a possible motive but said they are investigating whether the incident is linked to another shooting Wednesday night about a half-mile away on M Street Northwest in Sursum Corda, a public housing complex near New York Avenue and North Capitol Street. Three people were shot about 9:15 p.m., including a woman who, police said Friday, has died. She was identified as Danielle Williams, 29, of Northwest.

The history of violence in the area is long, with neighborhood crews from Sursum Corda often feuding with crews across New York Avenue in Truxton Circle. Separately, groups in Shaw, such as the Eighth and R streets and the Seventh and O streets crews, have battled it out.

Authorities have not said whether the most recent shootings Wednesday and Thursday are related to past violence. Police said the suspects in Thursday’s incident were arrested in a Saturn Ion when it crashed a few blocks north of the shooting scene in the 400 block of N Street NW, two blocks from Dunbar High School and on the border with Truxton Circle. Police arrested the suspects after a manhunt and chase through the neighborhood; one man was found hiding on a rooftop.

The Thursday afternoon shooting occurred shortly after students at Dunbar had left for the day and shortly before fans streamed into the high school campus to watch a football game. Police noted there were many children in the courtyard when the gunfire erupted, and D.C. Police Chief Peter Newsham, who toured the scene, said residents he talked to were cooperative as they, too, “are sick and tired” of the violence.

Police said at least 20 shots were fired. A police report says three vehicles were struck and the front windows of six houses, three on the south side of N Street, had windows damaged, meaning bullets flew across a two-lane street.

The police report says three guns were recovered from the courtyard — a Smith & Wesson, a Glock and a Beretta. At least one had an extended magazine, police said.

Thursday’s shooting was a half-mile from where eight people were shot, one fatally, in May on Q Street in Shaw. More than 40 bullets were fired, and police arrested a suspect but have not divulged a possible motive. That was one of three separate shooting attacks in the neighborhood in a matter of days that caused community concern and prompted Newsham to tour the streets to talk with worried residents.