The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Security guard at Chick-fil-A shoots armed robbery suspect in Northeast Washington, police say

Placeholder while article actions load

A private security guard on Thursday afternoon shot and critically wounded a man who police said moments earlier had robbed a fast-food restaurant at gunpoint along the H Street corridor in Northeast Washington.

A D.C. police spokesman said the incident occurred shortly after noon at a Chick-fil-A in the 1400 block of Maryland Avenue NE, near Starburst Plaza. A police report says that the confrontation occurred outside the restaurant’s drive-through window and that a handgun was recovered.

In a separate shooting by police, authorities said a D.C. officer shot and wounded a man early Friday. A department spokesman said the man advanced on officers with a knife in the middle of the 1600 block of New York Avenue NE about 3:30 a.m.

Dustin Sternbeck, the D.C. police spokesman, said the man refused repeated commands to stop and was shot after he “proceeded toward” the officer. Police said it did not appear that the man suffered life-threatening injuries. Sternbeck said a knife was recovered.

Police identified the man as Michael Hines, 33, and said Saturday he has been charged with assaulting an officer while armed with a knife.

D.C. police have shot and wounded five people in the first two months of this year, and the security guard regulated by the District shot one person. None of those people have died; police said the man shot by the security guard suffered life-threatening injuries.

Authorities said they recovered guns or knives in each incident. All the cases remain under investigation.

In one incident, a D.C. officer shot a man whom authorities said had just fatally shot another person. Police on Friday released video from the body-worn camera of the officer involved in the shooting, which occurred Feb. 19 in the 6000 block of Chillum Place NE.

Police said 66-year-old John Woods of Silver Spring, Md., killed 60-year-old Geno Freeman, of Hyattsville, Md. Police who were called to the scene shot Woods.

Police identified the officer who fired as Christopher Delisi, who has been on the force three years.

The video shows Delisi and another officer repeatedly telling Woods to drop a shotgun. Delisi says “drop the gun” four times before police said Woods “pointed his weapon at the officer,” and Delisi fired several rounds from his department-issued rifle.

Woods is partially obscured in the video. He survived, and police said they charged him with first-degree murder while armed, assault on a police officer and other crimes. He has not yet made his initial appearance in court.

The video and the officer’s name were made public under a new law passed by the D.C. Council that aims to make the police more transparent regarding the use of force by officers.

Security guards, known as Special Police, are not subject to the rules requiring body cameras. They are typically employed by private companies, though they are licensed and regulated by the District government.

Sternbeck said the uniformed security officer at the Chick-fil-A was not wearing a body camera. He said that a security camera at the restaurant captured part of the incident and that D.C. officers who responded to the shooting activated their body-worn cameras.

Police did not identify the security guard or say whether he worked for a private company contracted by the restaurant chain. Jackie Jags, a spokeswoman for Chick-fil-A, declined to comment on the name of the security company or guard.

In a statement, police said the assailant walked into the restaurant armed with a handgun and demanded money from an employee. The employee opened a cash register and handed the man an undisclosed amount of money.

Police said the guard shot the man outside. Police released a picture of a handgun with an extended magazine that held 21 bullets.

The suspect, identified as Davon Robinson, 27, of Southeast Washington, was charged with armed robbery, assault with a dangerous weapon, carrying a firearm without a license and registration, and possession of unregistered ammunition.

In addition, police said they charged Robinson in connection with a shooting that occurred last August on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue in Southeast Washington.

Spencer S. Hsu contributed to this report.