A second suspect has been arrested in a daylight shooting last year at a busy District intersection that left four people wounded and prompted a public outcry.

The shooting occurred about 4:30 p.m. June 8 at New York Avenue and North Capitol Street NW. It was in front of Big Ben Liquors on a corner that is passed daily by thousands of commuters.

A police official described the corner last year as an open-air drug market.

Of the four people hit, police said three were bystanders.

Police said Sunday that Alan Maybin, 33, of Northwest Washington, was arrested on a warrant Friday by members of the Capital Area Regional Task Force. He was charged with assault with intent to kill, police said.

Another suspect was arrested a week after the shooting, police said. They said he also was charged with assault with intent to kill, but police said he was suspected of helping the gunman, not of firing shots.

Police have said the man whom the gunman was aiming at was struck several times. A week after the shooting, he remained in a hospital.

The three bystanders suffered what were described as minor wounds to their arms and legs. They were released from hospitals within a few days of the shooting.

City officials focused attention on the incident. Among those expressing concern were residents of the nearby Truxton Circle neighborhood. It is a place of rising property values, but one where both dilapidated and renovated structures exist.

Both then-D.C. Police Chief Cathy L. Lanier and Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) announced the first arrest.

Lanier called the shooting brazen, and Bowser asked the public to help find “the person we believe is responsible for actually firing the gun.”

In an arrest warrant for the first suspect, police said private surveillance cameras showed a man parking in an alley near the corner where the shooting occurred.

The surveillance footage showed another man getting out of the car and taking a gun from his waistband.

After the shooting, police said, the man was shown returning to the car, which left the area swiftly.

It was not clear how the police identified and found the man suspected of firing.

Peter Hermann contributed to this report.