The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Sex tape found near scene of woman’s death, possibly by electrocution, in Va.

Fairfax County police traced the cellphone of a missing and endangered woman to an Annandale home on Dec. 21, according to a search warrant. Officers’ knocks went unanswered, but a bizarre and horrific scene unfolded when they peered through a basement window.

The missing woman, Kum Yeon, 56, of Alexandria, was lying naked on the floor next to a fully clothed 73-year-old man, according to the search warrant. When officers knocked again, the man wrapped what appeared to be an electrical cord around his wrist and began to convulse.

The officers barged into the home and found that the pair were handcuffed together and that the heavy-gauge cord wrapped around the man’s wrist was attached to awls jammed into a circuit breaker — an improvised electrocution device.

The man had a left a note nearby indicating that he wanted to kill the woman and take his life, according to the search warrant. There was also a DVD with a printed label that appeared to show the pair engaged in sex.

Yeon was pronounced dead at the scene, and her death has been ruled a homicide. The man, whose name authorities have not released, remains on life support at a hospital, police said. The man has not been charged, but Fairfax police say he is being investigated as Yeon’s killer.

The fresh details in the case emerged Monday after a search warrant for a green Ford SUV registered to a 73-year-old man became public. Fairfax police searched the vehicle for blood and other body fluids, restraints, Yeon’s belongings, electronic devices and any items used to create the improvised electrocution device. Nothing was found.

Police have not stated a motive for the apparent killing, but said Yeon and the man were acquaintances. Police went to the home in the 7100 block of Pennys Town Court shortly after 5 p.m. on Dec. 21.

County officers were assisting Alexandria police detectives with a case of an endangered missing person, according to the search warrant. Fairfax police said there was no indication that Yeon had been abducted.

Yeon’s daughter reported her missing about 2:30 p.m. Dec. 21, said Officer Crystal Nosal, a spokeswoman for the Alexandria police. “The mother was not following her normal routine, and the daughter found it suspicious,” Nosal said.

One of Yeon’s relatives described her as loving and religious, but said the family was too upset to comment further.

Sunny Bell, who owns the home where the killing occurred, said the 73-year-old was a handyman originally from Korea. Bell said the man had rented a basement apartment from her for less than a year. Bell said that she had no problems with him and that she did not know Yeon.